Red Wolf!

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
Shooooooo its good to see you around again mud. That big fella was the motivation for me to get one back in the day
What's up?! It's been a long time.

I got tired of the maintenance after 17 years so I shifted over to reptiles. I have a Blue Tongue Skink, Gargoyle Gecko and two Leopard Geckos. It's now time to revisit aquariums though. Truth be told it's because I was at the LFS the other day and they had a red wolf. I looked at my wife and she rolled her eyes :ROFL:

You still have your red?

Reactions: Deadeye

wolffishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
usa
What's up?! It's been a long time.

I got tired of the maintenance after 17 years so I shifted over to reptiles. I have a Blue Tongue Skink, Gargoyle Gecko and two Leopard Geckos. It's now time to revisit aquariums though. Truth be told it's because I was at the LFS the other day and they had a red wolf. I looked at my wife and she rolled her eyes :ROFL:

You still have your red?
I dont, lost him around 2013 and got back up and running late 2019 with a sp. choco I had brought in at 4in. Ended up with a northern BTS also lol

wolffishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 24, 2010
usa
I understand completely. We had a Derecho hit in June of 2012, I lost all of my fish including him. We were without power and water (well water) for over a week.
Dang it man hate to hear it, good to see you back around! Hope to see a growout thread soon!

Reactions: Mudfrog

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Quick update on this little wolf. He has grown considerably, just under 5 inches at the moment and much chunkier than the emaciated state in which I originally got him. He continues to eat just about anything offered, but his main diet consists of assorted varieties of carnivorous-diet pellets, earthworms and insects (clumsy grasshoppers and slow deer flies, mostly...I am improving the bloodlines by culling...:)).

His colour has been steadily improving and I think he has potential to be a fairly colourful specimen. More and more orange is appearing along his lateral dark stripe, and there is some colour spangling in the unpaired fins as well when seen in good light. His demeanour continues to worsen; I tried placing a single Hoplo cat in with him a few weeks ago, and he ignored it at first but eventually became quite belligerent and started to harass the cat, which I removed. Today I experimented with another larger Hoplo, an inch longer than the wolf and likely more than twice his mass. I floated it in a glass jar in his tank, and he attacked it immediately; never even bothered releasing the cat from the jar, as it was obviously not going to work. He will be flying solo from here on.

This is a rarity for me; actually got a recognizable pic:
1657688232485_20220712_124857.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Beautiful fish! Mine should be coming in today…super excited!

Perhaps he may accept snails as cleanup? They don’t peg me as snail eaters (or at least I hope not because there are a lot of ramshorns already in the tank mine will be going in).

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
There are a few snails in his tank, including some that would be easily crunched, but he pays no attention to them.

I wasn't thinking of re-introducing another Hoplo as a cleaner-upper; the first time I did that was when the wolffish was new to me and still fairly small, and I had a bit of trouble providing small enough food for it to swallow without tearing up the food item and creating a mess. Now he's big enough, and his appetite and menu are varied enough, that I only feed him items that can be swallowed whole, without chewing or shaking. I don't dump in food in quantity. One pellet/worm/fly at a time, eaten before he gets the next. No mess.

The most recent Hoplo experiment was just to check his aggression levels.

Aggression: check! :)

Do you know the origin of the one have coming in?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store