Green Terror in 55-Gallon

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Platinums grow to the full size, it’s albinos that stay smaller. And how about this sab, if you’re set on the parrot then get all the other fish first, let them grow into adults, see how the tank is doing, and then if your parameters and fish are good then you can look into getting a parrot?
Honestly, the fish I want for the centerpiece is the platinum bichir lol. The blood parrot...well...I like them a lot, and I think they are derpily adorable, but they aren't the first choice on my list. So I can wait on the blood parrot. The convicts...I can probably wait on them too.

I just want something beautiful, and impressive for the tank and something that I can give the best life to.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
I’m obviously a bit biased, but I personally love the idea of just a convict or convict pair with livebearers. This has been my 75 gallon’s stocking for over a year now and it’s fantastic. It’s simple, but it’s worked out well for a novice fish keeper like myself. The swordtails couldn’t be more entertaining to watch, while the convicts are just as interactive as any of the “big boy” cichlids. I don’t really worry about tank-mates killing each other or my tank having an excessive bioload. Not to beat a dead horse though if you’ve already decided this stocking doesn’t interest you lol.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I’m obviously a bit biased, but I personally love the idea of just a convict or convict pair with livebearers. This has been my 75 gallon’s stocking for over a year now and it’s fantastic. It’s simple, but it’s worked out well for a novice fish keeper like myself. The swordtails couldn’t be more entertaining to watch, while the convicts are just as interactive as any of the “big boy” cichlids. I don’t really worry about tank-mates killing each other or my tank having an excessive bioload. Not to beat a dead horse though if you’ve already decided this stocking doesn’t interest you lol.
I would do that, but I want to have a bichir. And that is the deciding factor as the bichir would feast on the livebearers, even larger ones.

Reactions: Matth05

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I really don’t see an 8 inch bichir taking out a 4+ inch livebearer.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Still, I'd rather not be dealing with another constant internal fear that something will happen with the fish any more than I already do (and I do a lot lol).

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Still, I'd rather not be dealing with another constant internal fear that something will happen with the fish any more than I already do (and I do a lot lol).
That’s fair, and I respect that.
Larger tetras are an option in that case, being so fast the bichir would struggle to catch them.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
That’s fair, and I respect that.
Larger tetras are an option in that case, being so fast the bichir would struggle to catch them.
True, but I'm not interested much in schooling fish like tetras unless they are larger like silver dollars, and those long term are too large for my tank so...

Are there any schooling cichlids that would work? I know firemouths don't work and although I like EBA, I was scared out of them lol.

Is it really true that Firemouths have to be kept in schools? All firemouths I've seen were single in their tanks and I've never heard of firemouths being kept in schools in any article or research I've done.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
IMG_0075.jpeg
And this snake had no business trying to eat this gator but it still did and died trying. Even though we know or at least *think* an animal won’t or can’t eat another one doesn’t mean it won’t at least *try*. The bichir could just snap at it repeatedly until it dies from exhaustion or diseases brought on by the stress of the repeated attacks.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
View attachment 1528885
And this snake had no business trying to eat this gator but it still did and died trying. Even though we know or at least *think* an animal won’t or can’t eat another one doesn’t mean it won’t at least *try*. The bichir could just snap at it repeatedly until it dies from exhaustion or diseases brought on by the stress of the repeated attacks.
Oh jeez, I don't even know what I'm looking at LOL. But I definitely agree.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store