If You Had the Money, Would You Rather Own a Cybertruck or a Real Truck?

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
Not a fan of the cybertruck in all honesty. Funny the topic comes up quite a bit between my dad and I, now that they’re becoming more common. He says that they look ugly, but I don’t even know if I agree with that. I think that it looks stupid, not “ugly” if that makes any sense lol.

If I did have a hundred grand to spend on any truck I wanted, give me a 1st gen K5. IMG_3165.jpeg
Crazy thing is I’ve seen a couple of these go for over that on Barrett-Jackson and Mecum auctions 😭. We’re talking perfect trucks though that are going for that much.

Tristan's 6000 Fish

Probation Member
Probation Member
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2024
Vidalia, Georgia/ Brooklet, Georgia
I respect your opinion. I saw you're from New Zealand. Being that I'm an American my parents would disown me if I disgraced our family, pulling up in any electronic automotive creation. If it ain''t burnin 90 gallons of diesel an hour, it ain't fit for driving. While a gallon of gas does cost as much as my two houses, I'd rather go broker, then drive a tesla. I'd hope you'd go with something other then the cyber-triangle.

I'd probably go with an EV Truck, I'm going to have to pay full RUC either way.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I respect your opinion. I saw you're from New Zealand. Being that I'm an American my parents would disown me if I disgraced our family, pulling up in any electronic automotive creation. If it ain''t burnin 90 gallons of diesel an hour, it ain't fit for driving. While a gallon of gas does cost as much as my two houses, I'd rather go broker, then drive a tesla. I'd hope you'd go with something other then the cyber-triangle.
The only EV ute currently available is the LDV eT60, but let's compare to say an F150 lightning which is available in Australia.

Let's see if we can compare...
Hilux double cab SR5 hybrid: $59,490
Fuel consumption 8.5L/100km at $1.80L = $15.30+ $7.60 RUC = $22.90 per 100km.
Max braked towing 3500kg
Max payload 750kg

LDV eT60: $59,990
Power consumption 27kwh/100km at $.25/kw = $6.75+ $7.60 RUC = $14.35 per 100km
Max braked towing 1000kg
Max payload 1000kg

F150 Lightning: (Based on AU price) $214,000
Power consumption 30kwh/100km at $.25/kw = $7.50 + $7.60 RUC = $15.10 per 100km
Max braked towing 4500kg
Max payload 1000kg

Toyota Yaris ZR Hybrid $38,890
3.0L/100Km @ $2.90/L = $8.70/100km.
Max braked towing Officially not rated, some claims of 750-1000kg
Max payload Something like 300kg.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Not sure why this wouldn’t be considered a truck. It does have a bed…..technically.

View attachment 1549516
Hmm, i guess. Does the cover retract or something? It better have some sort of techno-magic going on for whatever the ludicrous price is. I guess ive just been so dismissive of them that i havent even done proper research.

Im sure theyre great for certain truck-like applications like roughhousing around on the sand flats or wherever those stock photos are taken. But im still 1000% certain they are not a practical answer for an everyday truck driver/user like myself. It has been literally designed to cash in on this EV trend.

Like i said before, right now, its a niche item. A vision for the future? Maybe, i dont think so. Hybrid diesel-electric powertrains would be a much more attractive nuance for me. If they did mass produce such a vehicle, they would quickly make everything else obsolete.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The only EV ute currently available is the LDV eT60, but let's compare to say an F150 lightning which is available in Australia.

Let's see if we can compare...
Hilux double cab SR5 hybrid: $59,490
Fuel consumption 8.5L/100km at $1.80L = $15.30+ $7.60 RUC = $22.90 per 100km.
Max braked towing 3500kg
Max payload 750kg

LDV eT60: $59,990
Power consumption 27kwh/100km at $.25/kw = $6.75+ $7.60 RUC = $14.35 per 100km
Max braked towing 1000kg
Max payload 1000kg

F150 Lightning: (Based on AU price) $214,000
Power consumption 30kwh/100km at $.25/kw = $7.50 + $7.60 RUC = $15.10 per 100km
Max braked towing 4500kg
Max payload 1000kg

Toyota Yaris ZR Hybrid $38,890
3.0L/100Km @ $2.90/L = $8.70/100km.
Max braked towing Officially not rated, some claims of 750-1000kg
Max payload Something like 300kg.
These tech specs read great and all, but i would posit a few queries to you. Have you ever tried to trailer a 3500kg load with a hilux? The vehicle is simply not beefy enough to trailer such a load safely imo. It may have the power to pull it on flat ground, but try coming to a quick stop on wet pavement on a steep downhill grade. Its about brakes, suspension, stability just as much--moreso even--than torque and pulling power.

The same goes for any of those EV trucks. Sure, you might get a few hundred km towing a small boat on flat ground, but what happens when you try to take the thing over the mountain? I would not feel confident with nothing but a batt-ry to get me over.

I drive a whole whole lot. Until i start seeing these things actually performing these tasks out on the road, driven by real people, i will not have any confidence they can actually live up to the hype. Everybody i know who is serious about trailering heavy loads and/or works with heavy equipment on the regular knows that EVs are a joke when it comes to utility applications and would never trust them when their investments and/or family's safety is on the line. The current generation of EV vehicles could very well be a good jumping off point though.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
These tech specs read great and all, but i would posit a few queries to you. Have you ever tried to trailer a 3500kg load with a hilux? The vehicle is simply not beefy enough to trailer such a load safely imo. It may have the power to pull it on flat ground, but try coming to a quick stop on wet pavement on a steep downhill grade. Its about brakes, suspension, stability just as much--moreso even--than torque and pulling power.
Me personally? No. But all I've heard is that they easily tow that much, and given they're the second most popular commercial vehicle in the country seems the buyers agree. It's basically the standard for towing. Most vehicles here are rated for much higher towing capacities than the US.

For example, my Rav4 in the US is rated for 1500kg, it's only 750 in the US despite us having much more mountainous, narrower, windier roads than the US.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Me personally? No. But all I've heard is that they easily tow that much, and given they're the second most popular commercial vehicle in the country seems the buyers agree. It's basically the standard for towing. Most vehicles here are rated for much higher towing capacities than the US.

For example, my Rav4 in the US is rated for 1500kg, it's only 750 in the US despite us having much more mountainous, narrower, windier roads than the US.
Hmmm, i see. It seems the hilux is now some sort of actual truck. It appears to be analogous to our tacoma but with a diesel powertrain. I was thinking the old 4runner/hilux suvs from the 90s. It may be able to handle that load as our stateside tacomas can be found pulling such stunts as well, i would still want more truck though.

I dont think youve traveled through enough of the US if youre making a statement like that. We have thousands and thousands of miles of curvy, steep, unpaved backroads just in my native appalachia alone. These kind of roads are not the concern for trailering though, its the highways, traveling at speed through congestion, bad weather, or just the terrible drivers youre often confronted with when touring our countryside.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store