1000 gallon build

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
OK! Here are the long awaited results of the silicone test! I am sure there are people that may disagree with my findings. However I assure you every aspect of each sample was as close to the same as possible. I am also going to give each one a rating of one to ten for the best bond to acrylic. Ok here goes..

Pic 1. GE Construction grade, although extremely stiff it released from the acrylic.
My rating---6
Pic 2. GE Silcone 1, would not release from acrylic at all! I tried to scrape it with a putty knife, didn't budge.
My rating---10
Pic 3. GE Silicone 2, extremely stretchy. peeled off way to easy.
My rating---4
Pic 4. Silicone 2
pic 5. Construction grade
pic 6. Silicone 1

Now I know there is some disbelief, but I am sure I tested properly. I am always interested in other opinions.

P4250229.JPG

P4250230.JPG

P4250231.JPG

P4250232.JPG

P4250233.JPG

P4250234.JPG

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Only problem with your test is the absence of moisture :( I have found that GE silicone 1 seems to form an excellent bond to damn near anything. However, acrylic is porous (believe it or not, I didn't, either.) The water soaks into the acrylic and destroys the bond between the acrylic and the silicone. After a month or two in service, the silicone detaches from the acrylic completely. (This is my experience, anyways, it could have been that there was already moisture in the acrylic when I made the patch.)

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
cvermeulen;1736695; said:
Only problem with your test is the absence of moisture :( I have found that GE silicone 1 seems to form an excellent bond to damn near anything. However, acrylic is porous (believe it or not, I didn't, either.) The water soaks into the acrylic and destroys the bond between the acrylic and the silicone. After a month or two in service, the silicone detaches from the acrylic completely. (This is my experience, anyways, it could have been that there was already moisture in the acrylic when I made the patch.)
yes but the difference is Assuming urs was on an all acrylic tank or small ply is hes got 1000 galons pushing on the pane but i do agree with u

salty joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2007
medina ohio
Is your plan to put a major bead around the glass? I hate to say this, but rhat would concern me for long term watertightness. Your best bet might be to bite the bullet, remove & re-seal the glass. Just MHO.

jamey0615

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
Yes but from the inside. I am also going to put the same size bead in the front of the window. Since I will be trimming out the entire front with granite.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
cvermeulen;1736695; said:

thats why i used the dow system primer and silicone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store