250 tank and 250 air

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
The eel only comes out to eat. And is pretty fast moving when it does. Haven't gotten a decent pic of it yet. But I'll work on it.

About the plant list, my pleasure. What I'm wondering is how long a period do plants need to be acclimated to brackish water? They are always sold in FW and the salinity needs to be increased slowly, right?
Another point I sometimes wonder, is fluctuation in salinity. It's often agreed that BW fish can tolerate it to a suprising degree, but do plants tolerate it?

Lighting might be a factor in my tank, surely. But javas should be ok with it, I've put some of them very close to the surface. And even they don't grow. At all, practically.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the mangroves to grow into a nice bush in the tank. At the rate they are growing now, it could take some five years...

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Hi and thanks.

First I bent some pvc piping with a hot air gun and glued them together with melt glue:

Then I put some expandable polyurethane foam onto the middle part:

Carved that foam and sanded the pipes' surfaces to get a better grip for a water insulation material (that gives a better grip for the next layer):

Then I just put on tile grout mixed with an acrylic copolymere to strengthen it a bit:

A closer look:

I'm sure it will get to look more natural with aging. The underwater parts seen in previous pics look pretty nice already...

Sounds easy, doesn't it? Well, it is. But doesn't happen without practice, I guess.

groovitudedude

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
San Diego
Those guys will get big in no time. Are you seriously gonna consider a brackish puffer? He would have a blast in there, but I'm not sure about compatability.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Killer DIY roots man. It's great that you documented it with pictures so well. About acclimation to a different salinity, I've heard this about acclimating fish to brackish: You shouldn't increase the salinity by more than 0.002SG per day. For plants, I would doulble or triple that, just to be safe. I can't see the pic of the stand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store