250 tank and 250 air

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Thanks, B. You guys are too kind.

I've had those snails for some ten years on so, about as long as I've had fine sand bottom tanks. Got a fistfull of them from a LFS.
They are good breeders and really, they stir the bottom quite well, I've never had a bottom go bad, as fine sand sometimes does.

I'm thinking there's a bit too much of them in this tank and am thinking of an appropriate puffer to cut 'em down a bit.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Are they malaysian trumpet snails? Where are you located? I'd really like to have some of those in my brackish setup. Can you send me some?

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
What's your salinity?

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Yes, I guess that is the right english name for the snail, malaysian trumpet.
I'm in northern Europe, so sending them might be a bit complicated. But I'll check out if there's a fast and inexpensive way...

My salinity is at 1.008 at the moment. I let it go up and down with the water changes, somewhwre in between 1.006 and 1.010.

Tommydeal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
Dracut, MA
Cool, I grew up in Germany. Don't worry about shipping overseas, I can probably get my hands on some trumpets here and try to acclimate them to brackish. My salinity is ~1.014 .

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
trumpets will do well at any salinity, i've had them from FW up to 1.026 and when i got my first few batches( i would get them a couple at a time when i could talk the LFS employee into scooping out of a few of the "pest" snails) i would drip acclimate them into BW @ 1.008 in under 2hrs and after the 3rd batch i'd just drop them in and they'd still do fine. i've acclimated mollies from FW into 1.025 salinity in about an hour and other BW fish from FW into 1.004~1.012 in about 2hrs. if your salinity gets above 1.016 i'd try blue leg hermit crabs, they do well down to that level of salinity(at least thats the lowest i took them) the only live plant i've ever had do well in my BW tank was a couple bunches of anachris(elodea) and that was the only time i've had success with anachris after several attempts in FW. BTW, beautiful tank and i love the roots.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
That is truly awesome!!!

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Thanks a million for the input, Danyal.

Good to hear the trumpets will be doing fine if I rise the salinity. And in T-D's tank, too.
I'll give Anachris a shot, even though I don't like it too much. I'm not sure how I can make it grow where I want it to. Well, constant grooming, I guess.

Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store