4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Accident

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
South Texas
"Yes, I don't care what anyone says otherwise. YOU MUST USE CELL CAST ACRYLIC not extruded."

Take his word on this or research it out the arse. The result is the same. This is no opinion. It's FACT. Don't waste money or risk disaster with extruded acrylic. I built a 12 gallon tank from HD extruded acrylic. Bonded it like the pros do with that watery solvent. Did a great job. Got 'crazing' all over it after about 3 or 4 weeks. Thats where you get tiny cracks in the bond areas. I read every thread about DIY acrylic tanks over at the Salt forum 1st. I didn't believe them about the extruded. Had to see for myself. Extruded is fine with tiny projects but with these large tank windows, fa-git about it! Can you imagine the pucker factor watching a 5000 gallon tank/window begin to craze after you filled it with water. "oh snap".

!A

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Thanks Accident!!! Love your post!!!

Jonathan, soooooooooo you just have the thermostat to turn the pump on?

If that's the case, I wouldn't need a solenoid valve at all. Just the recirculating kit to allow for water going back through the cold line and the thermostat from Jehmco to control when the pump runs right?

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
nolapete;4010806; said:
Economically, it doesn't make sense to build a smaller tank. If that wasn't the driving force behind building a plywood tank, then we'd all have monster acrylic tanks costing thousands of dollars.

If money wasn't a concern, I don't think anyone would have a plywood tank over having the same size all glass/acrylic tank. I know I'd much rather have a 4300 gallon solid acrylic tank than a plywood and acrylic one.
I understand that the larger you build the more economical it gets. A glass 240 is $800-$900 new and acrylic $1300ish. I am building my 240 plywood tank for less than $500. Not only am I getting a large tank, but I will have a great piece of furniture. Me personally, I would rather have 2 240 gallon plywood tanks for $1000 than one glass or acrylic tank for the same price.

However back to my point is that no matter what size tank you build there are a certain level of skills involved to be successful no matter how advanced or basic they are, and that when advice is given to people about building a plywood tank that the point is made that it takes more than nailing 2 pieces of wood together to build a successful tank.

So I have spoken my mind and I do not want to further draw attention away from your terrific build.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I don't disagree with you john. Some people are indeed not meant to build any size tank. I did a lot of homework and still didn't have a solid plan until after the acrylic didn't fit the first front wall build. That wasn't my fault, but it was a near death blow to the project. The plan that I went with stemmed from a conversation with my friend who had the 135K and 107K tanks. Though his were concrete and it wasn't really any advice he gave. We were talking about something else altogether when I got the idea for the plan I used.

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Ramesh;4014077; said:
Hi there Pete, I have been reading your thread and love the build your undertaking.
I want to know if the liquid rubber you are using is called Zavlar?
http://www.liquidrubber.net.au/Zavlar/LiquidRubberZavlardatasheetJan6_06.html

I think the product you used and the one I found are one and the same but with different names.
It's the US equivalent, Rubber Coat and Pond Coat, but yes Zavlar is the same. Vezlar is the other product that can be used but that's specifically spray grade while Zavlar is available in brush grade and spray grade.

Permadri, the exclusive licensed manufacturer of LiquidRubber.ca products in the US, won't tell me what the difference is between Rubber Coat and Pond Coat. My supplier tells me it's the same thing and suspects, like me, that the naming difference is simply marketing. There's no difference in the MSDS on them, so can't really be a different product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store