4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I was just saying that while the cost of building the tank goes down the larger you go, the cost of the requisite equipment goes up.

You're right about the apples to apples comparison.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
nolapete;4007805; said:
I disagree completely. I'm no carpenter. Anyone who can use a chop saw, drill, speed square, level, and caulk gun can build a tank like I built.

You probably need a better set of skills to build a 240. A small tank like that is more dependent on precision measurements. Not that you couldn't build a 240 with 2x6 walls, but it wouldn't be practical.

In my opinion, unless you already have the glass from another tank i.e. like my 90 gallon expansion project, it's a complete waste of money and energy to build something so small. Bare minimum, a 500 gallon would be easily done. I'd recommend 750-1000 with the same piece of glass you'd use for the 240. Make it the same height and you have no different pressure.

Anyone who is willing to ask questions and listen to some advice can build a big plywood tank. Don't be hardheaded about it. Ask why. If the person can't explain why, then you probably shouldn't listen to them.

Ok I agree with you on that it does take a completely different set of skills building a tank of plywood vs a tank with 2x6 walls. But I cant agree that a 240 gallon tank is a complete waste of money. I get the cost per gallon, and I know that I could have done a 8x4x2 tank just the same, but no tank that allows someone to enjoy the hobby is a complete waste of money, just not as economical.

Also if I was not renting I would love to build a tank like yours.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
nolapete;4008044; said:
I was referring to you being able to plumb directly from your hot water heater to the heating coil in the tank and back again. I have a two story house and I'd have to cut open the kitchen ceiling to plumb it the same way you have yours done.
So that's the only place you have a hot water line?

You can tap into any hot water line anywhere...

As for cutting into the ceinling or the wall... I guess it's time to start practicing your drywall taping skills! LOL

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TheFishGuy;4010166; said:
So that's the only place you have a hot water line?

You can tap into any hot water line anywhere...

As for cutting into the ceinling or the wall... I guess it's time to start practicing your drywall taping skills! LOL
So the pump doesn't have to be near the hot water heater? Just on the hot water line?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
john73738;4008427; said:
Ok I agree with you on that it does take a completely different set of skills building a tank of plywood vs a tank with 2x6 walls. But I cant agree that a 240 gallon tank is a complete waste of money. I get the cost per gallon, and I know that I could have done a 8x4x2 tank just the same, but no tank that allows someone to enjoy the hobby is a complete waste of money, just not as economical.

Also if I was not renting I would love to build a tank like yours.
Now you're talking semantics. My point was that a tank much bigger could be built with lesser skills and for very little more in materials. In regard to building a tank allowing someone to enjoy the hobby more, that's not what we're talking about in this context. Economically, it doesn't make sense to build a smaller tank. If that wasn't the driving force behind building a plywood tank, then we'd all have monster acrylic tanks costing thousands of dollars.

If money wasn't a concern, I don't think anyone would have a plywood tank over having the same size all glass/acrylic tank. I know I'd much rather have a 4300 gallon solid acrylic tank than a plywood and acrylic one.

bubbles123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2009
Fort McMurray, Ab, Canada
nolapete;4010806; said:
If money wasn't a concern, I don't think anyone would have a plywood tank over having the same size all glass/acrylic tank. I know I'd much rather have a 4300 gallon solid acrylic tank than a plywood and acrylic one.
If money wasn't a concern, I would build out of steel reinforced concrete with an acrylic viewing window. But then, we are talking tens of thousands of gallons (or more);)

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
nolapete;4010792; said:
So the pump doesn't have to be near the hot water heater? Just on the hot water line?
That's correct!

All the pump allows it for the natural water pressure in your home to stop and go. The Grundfos pumps are designed to pump water up three stories or more...

The only reason my pump is somewhat close to my water heater is because it was a convienient spot for it...

Any where after the coils in the sump is fine, heck, I wouldn't see why it wouldn'y be fine before the coils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store