4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;4176810; said:
Yes, you can. A friend has a 2600 and a 2200 gallon tank; both are 26' long and have pond liners over plywood and dimensional lumber construction. The windows are attached with Dow 795 to hard rubber gaskets that have been rubber cemented to the pond liner.

I was originally going to use the same technique until I discovered Permadri's products which are basically a paint on pond liner.

The Permadri products contain no VOCs (volatile organic compounds), are water-based, have 850% elasticity, and are self healing. Meaning if it is punctured it will bond back together.

Damn Pete, this build is going to revolutionize monster fish keeping! If a regular guy can frame in a box (regular guys always over build) then paint it with this Permadri coat and it will hold water! Just wow, we are going to see some more very large builds in the future. I’m curious about the viewing panel transition, humidity build up, temp control, and over all durability/longevity of this build. I can’t wait to see how this monster turns out J

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;4178075; said:
50 pint dehumidifier, Barn and Fence mildew/weather resistant paint, lots of caulk, and temp control via the room AC and power ventilator in the attic to the left of the tank room should help a little.

So is the tank going to be open? Are you encouraging evaporation for cooling purposes at least in the summer? I saw one thread where a guy coiled two to three hundred feet of PEX line in an old fridge and cycled tank water through that for cooling in the summer!

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Egon;4178676; said:
I saw one thread where a guy coiled two to three hundred feet of PEX line in an old fridge and cycled tank water through that for cooling in the summer!
How big was the tank? That's a good idea,but I think it would be difficult to maintain the desired temp. that way.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
No, I'm not going to encourage evaporation.

No, I won't be using refrigerator with PEX coil to cool the tank.

Dehumidifier and AC thermostat set at 85 should manage the room temp. Might have to adjust some, but can't determine that until everything is up and running.

=====

A couple pieces of pond liner make coating a big tank like mine much easier. Wish I had thought to use them from the beginning. Otherwise you're constantly fighting with being stuck to the floor.

Trimmed out the tank and painted the top of the splash guard with the remainder of one of the buckets.

Tomorrow after work is a full coat. Taking half day Wednesday and Ken will be over to help work out the supports for the 55 gallon drum filters. Putting the last two coats on Wednesday; one when I get home and another late that night before bed with whatever is left.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
wow this is so close to being finished its awesome. I love your thread and tank Pete. are you gonna get all the filtration set up before you test fill it or whats your plan there? I know your not allowed to test fill before the GF's back home. keep up the steller work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store