4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That's where my build is different.

The four bottom drains are pressure fed by the force of the water wanting to escape the tank. Two pumps feed each 55 gallon drum filter which overflow back to the tank. The media in the drums will restrict the flow. I can returns from the drums by simply cutting another 3" hole and adding another Uniseal with plumbing. The coast to coast overflow also feeds into the lines going to the two pumps on either side. I'm going to build a model of the plumbing sometime this week.

surnimensis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
South Wales U.K.
Just chiming in! I think this may have been said before but one more won't hurt, " I can't wait to see this filled " woot woot! If knowledge is king then you are the fish emporator!

johndirst

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Cincinnati
This is making me want a much LARGER tank.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TheFishGuy;4184443; said:
I'm a bit concerned about the pressure flow... Just saying it outloud... But then again I tend to subscribe to the KISS method where gravity is king... When setting up a gravity fed system there's no such thinng as too much drainage... You've lost me on the pressure fed system LOL
It's still gravity J, but instead of feeding into a sump the intakes feed into the pumps. It's more of a closed loop or hybrid closed loop than what you or Rich are using.

One of the best features is that I don't ever have to worry about a sump overflowing or running dry.

There will be adequate sand/grit protection ahead of the pumps with clean out traps. All that is required to clean them is opening a valve.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Pete- I understand how it wont run dry but how can you be sure it wont overflow the filter drums? Are the filter drums going to be at the same lvl as the top of the tank? Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the past.

Arkangel77

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store