4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
Yep that makes cence

surnimensis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
South Wales U.K.
I have never built a sump or closed loop system filter. But it seems a much better idea to have the filter below the pump just to protect the empellor and mechanisem. Sorry just a thought!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
surnimensis;4185252; said:
I have never built a sump or closed loop system filter. But it seems a much better idea to have the filter below the pump just to protect the empellor and mechanisem. Sorry just a thought!
Protect the impeller and mechanism from what?

Gravity causes the intake pipe before the pump and keeps the entire plumbing filled. The only way the pump will run dry is if the tank drains down below the bulkheads in the tank. Barring catastrophe, that is impossible. When the pumps are off, the water in the filter and the tank equalizes at the same level.

See if you can understand this diagram.

filter flow.jpg

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
nolapete;4185385; said:
Protect the impeller and mechanism from what?
I think he was worrying about debris/sand/gravel from the tank hitting the pumps, but if you have debris traps before them, they'll be fine.

surnimensis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2009
South Wales U.K.
Conner;4185519; said:
I think he was worrying about debris/sand/gravel from the tank hitting the pumps, but if you have debris traps before them, they'll be fine.
yup thats what i was thinking, if any foregin objects get to the pump like sand, they would have a wearing effect. But i guess youve already thought of that. if you experience flow problems and drill holes in yr pump protectors you may experience trouble that way.
I'm no expert, sorry to hijack. Stuck to this thread buddie:headbang2

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
That sump location is genius. It's like a giant HOB filter but you can draw water from the bottom and/or set up a skimmer, just lots of options. Also no check valves to fail, easy pump maintenance and accessibility for a quick change out if a pump fails. I love it!

larryluvfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2008
Summerville, SC
Dang Pete I was confuse to, but that diagram really explain what you are doing. I was also wondering about debir getting into your pump, smart idea will never thought about that one.

Disturbed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2010
Nth Coast NSW Australia
seriously july 10th thats like about 2,764,800 seconds from now but I reckon it should go quick. can''t wait to see this monster wet.

Buy the way are the debris traps an inline setup with screens or something else

leg89

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
quebec, quebec, canada
like the idea. only if you planned on some breeding or having smaller speecies, just make sure they don't get killed in the pump.

i often have some neons and other small fishes in my sump. but i guess you don't build a 4000 + gal for neons arent'you? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store