4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
How many of these huge scale builds get started but never actually get finished?

Remember the guy with the giant cylindar tank? OR the guy with the shipping container? Or any of the 300, 400, 500, 700g plywood builds we've followed with great enthusiasm that the owner just never posted again? There was that one amazing dr or dentist office tank that was like 25 or 30 feet long? I think that guy got some goldfish in it and then never came back.

I'm so stoked to see this one get wet, and thats nothing compared to how excited you must be Pete. Congrats on, at the very least, the bottom of the tank holding water. The bottom 1 inch of your tank probably holds more water than my biggest.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
zennzzo;4204748; said:
It is, one, absolutely impressive build...not something one would expect to see in a private home...:headbang2
I'll be more impressed when it's filled LOL.

You do realize that the 16" depth put me at around 955 gallons :D I was shooting for 1500, so I could taunt Rich, but that wasn't to be.

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
zennzzo;4204678; said:
No it would prevent a leak from occurring, from around the bulkhead fitting,
keeping the water in the area designed to hold water...
greengiant;4204683; said:
only way that would happen is if the wood wasn't sealed. on glass it would totally eliminate the risk of a leak. the problem pete would have with using this method is Zavlar is not compatible with silicone so you would risk creating a leak where it wasn't leaking in the first place.
Thanks, I now see I visualized it wrong. Thanks for hearing a newb out!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;4205041; said:
I'll be more impressed when it's filled LOL.

You do realize that the 16" depth put me at around 955 gallons :D I was shooting for 1500, so I could taunt Rich, but that wasn't to be.
Your going to be able to taunt all of us! I think this will be the largest home built DIY tank? At least it's gota be in the top 5?

Pepito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
kallmond;4204776; said:
Remember the guy with the giant cylindar tank? OR the guy with the shipping container? Or any of the 300, 400, 500, 700g plywood builds we've followed with great enthusiasm that the owner just never posted again?

Wow, seriously? Someone tried to make a tank out of a shipping container?

As an actual response to the thread, though, this is looking amazing. Good luck gettin' this thing up and running! Can't wait to see a happy arapaima swimming around in there~

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
well, I was originally going to say 3" which actually is more than my biggest tank, given that I just got a 150 that seems *HUGE* to me, but changed it to 1" for effect.

regardless, your tenacity and follow through is inspiring.

And yea, someone was talking about it. I think he had to move or something. I saw a HUGE tank somewhere on the web that is made out of 4 shipping containers side by side, but i don't think it was an MFK build.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
hmmm I have a shipping container...... but what do I do with the stuff inside? quit giving me ideas!!!!! how would I insulate it I wonder? -20 isn't very friendly on a heating bill at the best of times.

so 60G an inch eh??? so to beat my biggest you need to have only 7" of water in yours I am so jeleous Pete. and to think your practise tank for zavlar is 4300G that way you don't have to worry when you build your monster 300 or whatever size it is in your other thread.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
You know 4300gallons is like adding a bedroom to your home and filling it with water...:WHOA::WHOA::WHOA:

by time Pete is done and wants to sell his house the Ad will read;
4 bedroom 3 bathroom 1 aquariumroom home in Nola, must see to appreciate!
:headbang2

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store