4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The hole size isn't the problem. The hole is 3" and the hole size for the bulkhead is 2-7/8" to 3-1/2".

It was my own fault for not seating it and tightening the nut enough. Easily fixed. I'll do it sometime this weekend when I get another chance to test fill.

I have to install two ceiling fans, paint a room, and install closet hardware. Got a new roommate moving in next Wednesday. And have to do all that in between spending time with my gf.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Still impressed by the 2 inch column of water the Crystal Pond 5200 pump was delivering. Man that thing kicks butt.

Seriously thinking about getting some feeder goldfish and moving my marble sleeper goby into the tank just to say I have fish in it.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
nolapete;4203953; said:
I never put silicone on bulkheads and wouldn't in this case because of the coating on the tank. The bulkhead is actually loose. I just need to pull the pipe to seat it and tighten the nut. The other 3 worked fine.

If you have to put silicone on a bulkhead, it's a poorly designed bulkhead and/or gasket combination. Flexpvc.com has great bulkheads.
Same bulkheads,
It just eliminates the void between the tank and the body of the bulkhead. I too, never used to use silicone, till I had one hole that was put too close to a seam, by the previous owner. It was tightened down just not being able to seal.
If it is just a case of a loose nut, easy fix then...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Conner;4204529; said:
I don't think he means using silicone to seal the bulkhead, he means filling up the space around the threaded portion of the bulkhead with silicone. This can help prevent the bulkhead shifting in the hole if the hole is too big, as well as helping to prevent any minor seepage around the gasket from leaking any further.

Its basically just a back up plan to the actual gasket, not in place of the gasket.
:thumbsup:
Exactly, and it makes for a leakproof bulkhead fitting, without having to overtighten the nut...

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Egon;4203859; said:
I never use silicone on my bulkheads and I never had a leak but I'm interested in new ways........
Are you saying the gasket is on the out side of the tank? The dry side with the nut? I always put the gasket on the inside of the tank/wet side. Then the nut is on the outside and it squeezes the gasket to the tank making it water tight. I never needed silicon? Interesting.
the particular fitting I was referring to had have the silicone gasket, on the outside, under the nut,
The fittings I got from Glass-Holes.com come with 2 silicone gaskets

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Conner;4204529; said:
I don't think he means using silicone to seal the bulkhead, he means filling up the space around the threaded portion of the bulkhead with silicone. This can help prevent the bulkhead shifting in the hole if the hole is too big, as well as helping to prevent any minor seepage around the gasket from leaking any further.

Its basically just a back up plan to the actual gasket, not in place of the gasket.
I should preface my comment by saying that Im a complete novice to building, plumbing or sealing tanks. But if I understand what you are describing, wouldnt that just delay the leak which might do more harm than good. For example if the silicone prevents you from seeing the leak while the water keeps leaking in a different direction.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Oscarum monstruoso;4204651; said:
I should preface my comment by saying that Im a complete novice to building, plumbing or sealing tanks. But if I understand what you are describing, wouldnt that just delay the leak which might do more harm than good. For example if the silicone prevents you from seeing the leak while the water keeps leaking in a different direction.
No it would prevent a leak from occurring, from around the bulkhead fitting,
keeping the water in the area designed to hold water...

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
Oscarum monstruoso;4204651; said:

only way that would happen is if the wood wasn't sealed. on glass it would totally eliminate the risk of a leak. the problem pete would have with using this method is Zavlar is not compatible with silicone so you would risk creating a leak where it wasn't leaking in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store