4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Sandwich it between 2x6 frame coated with Permadri and the existing seal on the window. That was my original plan in the beginning before I decided to coat the tank. The real problem with a liner is the little jog around the house load bearing wall that I had to do. Other than that, it shouldn't be a big deal if I pre-fold the liner then use registration reference points to set it in place before unfolding it.

I really don't know what else to do with it. I've thought about sheathing the inside with Hardi board and then sealing over that. I'm at a loss.

Ken thinks it's the window that is seeping. I just don't see it being possible with the three-sided seal we did and the rubber gasket along with the Dow 795, but evidently it's possible for me to be wrong.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I have an idea and want to see what you guys think.

Build a 2x4 frame

Cut a piece of liner to cover the acrylic (I have a section of old liner that may be big enough from one that had holes in it)

Secure the liner over the acrylic to seal it off from the rest of the tank

Test fill to see if it's the window seal causing the problem or not

Ozkar

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2007
Baltimore, MD
nolapete;4483815; said:

Build a 2x4 frame

Cut a piece of liner to cover the acrylic (I have a section of old liner that may be big enough from one that had holes in it)

I think that is a great idea. Once you can exclude the rest of the tank from being the culprit, then you can concentrate on fixing the window.

My 3000 gallon outdoor tank had leaks initially too; I did the same as you: drain, inspect, re-coat, refill, repeat. My windows were the main culprit. It still has minor leaks on and off (around some windows), but its outside so it doesnt matter.

Since your tank is in the house, I know you cant settle for ANY leaking, so I feel your pain.

Hang in there.... your close. Those extra coats were a good idea anyway.

Congrats on the engagement too!

familyman03

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2010
Bakersfield, CA
After all the money and time on the painting I would hate to see you put a liner in only to find out it was the window so it is definantly some time to do eliminations if you have enough liner laying around i say go for it. We can all pray for it too I find prayer always works...:):popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::grinno:

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
100% agree at this point you have to do this to determine the if it's the window or not. And this should be relatively easy and cheap to test so why not.

Also if it is the window you might end up with a leak still even after trying to go the liner route and that's just gonna make you more angry.. :)

nolapete;4483815; said:

Build a 2x4 frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store