4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
A couple of thoughts are bouncing around in my brain (and there is quite a bit of room in there to do so). My first instinct in this situation is to blame your rubber gasket for the leaking. Just saying it might be a possibility as other builders on mfk have had issues with gaskets because sometimes they flex and compress imperfectly compared to just silicone alone creating the smallest of a breach in the seal causing a leak. Second concern is with the framing idea, if your leak is a matter of pressure or stress on your window seals the framing may not be able to simulate that the way a full tank would. However I still think you should try it anyway because its the best way I can think of to start eliminating variables in this equation. I might be full or crapola but I figured I would share my thoughts. Any way good luck sir. Can't wait to see you conquer this one and get it filled. K Bye.

Satan's Goldfish

Cloven-hoofed Sea Monkey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Damn, not been here for a while, would have thought you'd be leak free and full of fish by now. Sorry to hear it's still giving you issues, hopefully it's sorted soon for you.

Back on topic, congrats on the engagement matey.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Congrats again on the marriage, and kudos to you for keeping up with this tank. You have had one of the most difficult builds I've had the privilege of watching since joining MFK. The fact that you haven't given up yet speaks of your determination and stubbornness. I know most other people would have given up by now.

And to look on the bright side, you are paving the way for untold numbers of other fishkeepers to create their own monster tanks, as well as inspiring them that it IS possible to build a public aquarium quality tank in a private home.

Thanks for keeping up, and I wish that myself and many others could be there to brainstorm and help you in person. Or at least down a couple cold ones with you...

Good luck, and I can't wait to see this tank filled and fish swimming around in fishy heaven.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
The dining room wall is already cut out, would it be easier to remove more of the dining room wall so you could view the entire window structure from the dining room to see if its the window leaking?

I think, if it were me, I'd take down all the sheetrock on the dining room wall. You probably should replace it with green board or other mold/mildew resistant material anyway. That would allow you to see almost the entire 'front' of the tank, and help detect leaks that way.

Is there *any* room to access under the tank? could you slide cardboard under it? I know the leak water can travel horizontally along the 2x6's, but it might help give you an idea of the general area. if you filled it and checked the cardboard every 10 or 15 minutes until you found the first drip. Then it might also help you to figure out if there is just 1 leak or possibly more.

Lastly, trying to think "outside the tank". I found this Moisture Meter on Home Depot's site for $50. Its designed to find leaks in roofs floors and walls.

NOLAGT

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Louisiana
kallmond;4493228; said:
The dining room wall is already cut out, would it be easier to remove more of the dining room wall so you could view the entire window structure from the dining room to see if its the window leaking?
I was just about to say this pete. I know its more demo with the drywall. But it might be easier to see whats going on around that window from the dining room maybe.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
Hey Pete its been a while since I have been on MFK and as soon as I came on I came strait to your thread. your build is awesome and I get frusterated every time you say you have another leak so I can just imagine the frusteration you must feel. I have to say. Congrats on the Engagement!!! that is awesome. what has happened with your truck? I think I may have missed a couple pages along the way. if you said I apologize for asking again. I like the idea of ruling out the front window. I also agree that doing a little demo in the Kitchen and replacing that sheetrock with greenboard is a wise idea. also gives you the chance to see if there is any leaking along the front. if I remember correctly there is no chance of getting anything under the tank at all even a piece of paper from how you built the floor. I love your build. I will be getting back on building my 350G as soon as I get moved into my new place on the first of October. (ok it might not be the first day but I want to get it going) good luck. even though I have not been on as much I am supporting you every day on this epic project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store