4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Just wondering, and maybe its so obvious you thought of it long ago, have you tried contacting permadri and seeing if they had any suggestions as far as what the cause/problem might be? I'm not sure if they'd be any help in that regard or not though.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I talked to my distributor about a month or so ago Conner and he said it is likely that I didn't have the coating thick enough. He said it was designed to keep moisture out, not contain liquids, and that it is possible that a "balloon" is forming in a void then getting thin enough to allow a leak. Since every screw head, seam, and other void was filled with liquid nails and subsequently mesh tape and all fall on 2x6s, I don't believe that is the issue. Especially with all the extra coats.

BOR, if you remember early on my original plan was to have a liquid rubber coated frame around the window securing it from the inside. I'm thinking that may be a potential solution.

greengiant, NOLAGT, kallamond - Behind the drywall is a solid wall of wood around the window. There's no way to see anything with the drywall removed. Also, there's no way to get anything under the tank.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
To pin point the leak from the outside, you can toy with the idea of drilling narrow downward-sloped holes in likely spots that will allow the water to drain out to better tell where the leak is. If you try this, use a stop on your bit to set the depth from penetrating the tank. This should have minimal affect on the integrity of the tank.

You would want the holes drilled before you filled to give them a chance to intercept the horizonal spreading of the water between all your sandwiched boards. But this is all presuming that the leak is high enough up to do this.

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
nolapete;4523759; said:
Yes, I know. A year later and still not a single fish in the tank. Life happens. Having the tank full of water is one of three things on my to do list for October, so hopefully I won't let you guys down.
Your not letting anyone down Pete, just here for the journey of the build. You'll get it done and thanks to you we'll all get to see it in action.

mike huntley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Ipswich Suffolk
Yanbbrox;4523908; said:
Your not letting anyone down Pete, just here for the journey of the build. You'll get it done and thanks to you we'll all get to see it in action.
totally agree with yanbbrox, its a journey that is great to follow, i know from my head aches it can be a pain in the backside but when the day it holds water comes, it will be such a good feeling. can't wait to see it with water this month pete :D :popcorn:

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
I agree with Mike and Yarn - I look forward to swimming in that thing when its done! :WHOA:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store