4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

samplexample

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
Pete have you figured a way you might fold the liner for that odd corner? The method you used for the 3 regular corners is ingenious!

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
mike huntley;4849318; said:
nicely put indeed mate
Keep the faith Mike, MFK will come good. I'll rally troops for the support.

nes999;4849375; said:
yanbbrox Always has a way with words.
Derail over, sitting back and following my own advise.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
nolapete;4806325; said:
What is it that you're worrying about? I don't understand since the hard rubber gasket is attached to the window with Dow 795 and subsequently has been covered with Permadri Rubber Coat.
Sorry for the delayed response Pete, I haven't been on in a while working 50 or 60 billion hours a week. busy busy busy. Anyway, what I was getting at is that gaskets don't always flex and give to conform 100% to a surface. So any imperfections at all in the surface can create a breach in the seal. All though I think using the dow was a good way to combat this issue, I still don't trust the gasket to do its job as it can't flex, expand as well as silicone can. I am not doubting your construction though, you have done a marvelous job. I just worry about the gasket. Perhaps I worry to much though and am over-thinking.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
What you're not taking into account is that the gasket is not some ordinary gasket material. It is a hard rubber 5/8" (I think that's right, but I can't remember off the top of my head at this point) thick and very flexible.

Even with that, it's not what is sealing the window. The window is resting on hard rubber spacers 1" x 6" along the bottom and on the front which prevents it from contacting the wood. Dow 795 was used to set the window. I had to backfill with regular silicone to take care of some voids in the front. We had only applied the Dow 795 to the wood and not the acrylic. Lesson learned.

The Dow 795 makes the primary seal on the window which is on the 2" edge. The hard rubber gasket covers that seal and was attached to it with Dow 795. The hard rubber gasket provided a bridge from the plywood to the acrylic for the Permadri since the gasket was flush with the plywood.

I guess you didn't understand what the hard rubber gasket is doing. The frame I'll be using to secure the liner in place around the window will overlap the gasket.

We're 4 weeks away from the wedding, so it's a bit crazy around here.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
nolapete;4898176; said:
What you're not taking into account is that the gasket is not some ordinary gasket material. It is a hard rubber 5/8" (I think that's right, but I can't remember off the top of my head at this point) thick and very flexible.

Even with that, it's not what is sealing the window. The window is resting on hard rubber spacers 1" x 6" along the bottom and on the front which prevents it from contacting the wood. Dow 795 was used to set the window. I had to backfill with regular silicone to take care of some voids in the front. We had only applied the Dow 795 to the wood and not the acrylic. Lesson learned.

The Dow 795 makes the primary seal on the window which is on the 2" edge. The hard rubber gasket covers that seal and was attached to it with Dow 795. The hard rubber gasket provided a bridge from the plywood to the acrylic for the Permadri since the gasket was flush with the plywood.

I guess you didn't understand what the hard rubber gasket is doing. The frame I'll be using to secure the liner in place around the window will overlap the gasket.

We're 4 weeks away from the wedding, so it's a bit crazy around here.
Perhaps I don't understand exactly what the purpose of the gasket is, I kinda gotta see it I guess. In retrospect though I have a question for you regarding permidri... If you were to build another, or on your next larger build or what have you, is permidri still your top option for sealant?

koko77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2011
turkey
WOW is great thnks for sharing.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Sirspifalot;4899389; said:
Perhaps I don't understand exactly what the purpose of the gasket is, I kinda gotta see it I guess. In retrospect though I have a question for you regarding permidri... If you were to build another, or on your next larger build or what have you, is permidri still your top option for sealant?
Absolutely, the product is very easy to work with and remains pliable after curing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store