4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm going to back out each screw on the 2x6 frame then squirt some liquid nails in then screw it back in then put some over the screw head. After that all dries, I will use the remaining 2 gallons of liquid rubber on the frame. If that doesn't work, I'll be investigating how to use a chop gun and fiberglass the entire tank!!!

I had filled over each screw head with liquid nails throughout the rest of the build. I got lazy and skipped that step stupidly with the frame around the window.

iDRINKbLEACH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2011
Miami, Florida
This is not a thread, this is an epic saga about a man and his struggle to build a beautiful tank. Along the way man meets a beautiful woman, they fall in love and start a family. All along the tank is a constant and focal point of the story. A man, a woman, achild and a tank (working title). When this thread becomes a movie, it has plot twists and angles that will attract all audiences.

Great thread an even better story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Judon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
San Diego, CA.
Hopefully Pete's pain and struggles to build this thing will help others to improve the design and construction of these sizes of tanks. I know if I am ever in a place where I can attempt anything like this.... I will be scanning this thread (and probably pm'ing Pete) in order to get a "best practices" and a "common pitfalls/ mistakes" list going. Liquid nails on all screws and over the screw heads during initial construction.. check. I'm still not really sure exactly how the frame holds the acrylic, but I'm not starting anything like this soon.. so not necessary.

:)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Very interesting. I'm curious as to what the load bearing factor is on it. Most foam type products are cellular and will crush under the thrust psi of fluids. No VOCs makes it possible for contact with aquarium water, but that doesn't necessarily make it fish safe. If it is indeed fish safe, it would make for excellent 3D background material. Thanks for sharing.

galabar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2011
Bellevue, WA
I'm going to back out each screw on the 2x6 frame then squirt some liquid nails in then screw it back in then put some over the screw head. After that all dries, I will use the remaining 2 gallons of liquid rubber on the frame. If that doesn't work, I'll be investigating how to use a chop gun and fiberglass the entire tank!!!

I had filled over each screw head with liquid nails throughout the rest of the build. I got lazy and skipped that step stupidly with the frame around the window.
Sweet. Even if it holds water after fixing the frame, you might still consider the fiberglass, just for the long term peace of mind. :)

seraph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Glen Ellyn, IL
it's not a foam, it's actually a 2 part polyurea that can be brushed on...it cures into a hard yet flexible abs like plastic...

Judon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2010
San Diego, CA.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store