4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Went home at lunch to do some clean up, feed the fish in the garage, and see what else I need to do before tomorrow. Not a whole lot other than putting the hard rubber in place. I was glad to see that I could clean off the old Dow 795 from the hard rubber pieces with a razor knife. One less thing I have to buy. There's a sense of surrealism about the whole thing. I won't believe it's actually happening until I put the screws in the boards that will temporarily hold the acrylic in place until the seal sets.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Hard rubber is stapled and glued with Dow 795 in place. Room is all cleaned up.

I need to sand the acrylic to scuff it up a bit and make a safe path over the top of the tank for my helpers. Other than that, we're all set.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
nolapete;3638577; said:
Hard rubber is stapled and glued with Dow 795 in place. Room is all cleaned up.

I need to sand the acrylic to scuff it up a bit and make a safe path over the top of the tank for my helpers. Other than that, we're all set.
Hey I'm in the front row...center seats even! WooooHoooo!!!
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

brianhellno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
USA
Good luck I hope all goes well. I've always felt the most exciting thing about building a plywood tank aside from the first test fill is the installation of the window. I think this just might be the biggest plywood tank ever built. Aside from risking getting caught for having this structure possibly illegally (I'm not sure on the laws of this kind of thing) I would call guiness and see if you could get a world record. Seriously that would be the coolest thing. Not to mention you could plug MFK and possibly inspire a lot of interest in building plywood tanks. Which could lead to better methods and more refined techniques. Just a thought.One last thing, how much does one of the acrylic windows weigh and why do you have two of them? I looked into the weight of a glass sheet that size and it came to over 500 pounds. I know acrylic is lighter and I'm hoping that it would bring the weight down quite a bit.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
brianhellno;3639610; said:
One last thing, how much does one of the acrylic windows weigh and why do you have two of them? I looked into the weight of a glass sheet that size and it came to over 500 pounds. I know acrylic is lighter and I'm hoping that it would bring the weight down quite a bit.
Where do you see TWO pieces of acrylic? At 500 lbs. and almost $1700, I assure you there's only ONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store