4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
nolapete;3522941; said:
Progress from today. Rain wouldn't cooperate, but I still was able to get most of the foundation for the walls done. The 2x6 tabs facing into the tank are to tie the floor to the walls once the acrylic is in place.

You can see the very little clearing on the exterior door and the french doors can no longer be used. I'll get the 135 out later. I can stand it on end on my tank cart and move it if I can't get it done before the walls are finished.
Nice update bro. That is a very tight space you working with on that door!

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, same clearance on other door too, but that door will only open to where it's perpendicular to the wall. There will be framing behind it to stop it, so it will never come in contact with the plumbing.

The other door is going to be replaced with a door that opens into the laundry room instead of into the fish room. Unfortunately, I can't flip the door that's there as the hinges are on the wrong side of the frame. I think that one's a right and I need a left.

Thinking about changing how I was planning on doing the ceiling, but not sure yet. All the finish work in the room will be done while I'm waiting the 2 weeks it takes for the Blue Max to fully cure.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The first few pics show the base complete then the rest show where I stopped because of the rain. I'm still fitting the first layer and have made template pieces, so the subsequent layers go very quick. If I had someone cutting pieces while I was gluing and screwing, it would go very fast now. I stopped to salvage wood from the first front section, but soon tired of unscrewing that stuff, breaking the adhesive bond, and cleaning it up. I should be able to get most of the first layer cutting done tomorrow if the rain doesn't stop me.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
So is the entire tank frame going to be 2x6's layered on top of each other like that? If so, that thing is going to be a BEAST!!

What are you hoping to get for the inside height dimension?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
There's going to be 1' (8 2x6s stacked) then 3 2x6 beams interlocked for each layer. The subfloor is 4.5" (3 2x6s stacked) then it will have whatever thickness plywood I decide to use over it (probably 3/4" on the bottom and 1/2" or 5/8" or whatever that screwy size is I forget on the walls). It'll be around 6' give or take.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Not sure I understand the 3 2x6's interlocked as beams... Do you mean three 2x6's laminated together, then placed vertically? If so, that makes sense, and would be very strong as well.

basslover34

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2007
Montreal
Good god Pete, this thing is going to be a beast! I think I have had the wrong impression of where this was actually going till this point ( Too many other projects going on here and in my world to have kept track).

The more photos I see the more I understand what your doing and the more I'd like to have an extra room like that to fill up with a tank ( oh wait I think I do if I move my office to the shed outside, what the hell I work from my laptop 90% of the time anyway LOL )

Perhaps a sketch up or a MS Paint will help some of the people here better visualize what you are planning here, personally I think your going to have it nailed with this design and you should start working on your patent if it's how I think it is LOL

(can you beleive it... no complaints or anything !! :D )

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Conner;3525489; said:
Not sure I understand the 3 2x6's interlocked as beams... Do you mean three 2x6's laminated together, then placed vertically? If so, that makes sense, and would be very strong as well.
No, horizontal. If you look at the corner detail, you can see what I'm talking about. There's a short board and a long board that make up the corner. On each layer they switch sides and overlap the one below. The same thing happens with the long boards. You'll understand more when the first layer is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store