4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
nolapete;3525649; said:
No, horizontal. If you look at the corner detail, you can see what I'm talking about. There's a short board and a long board that make up the corner. On each layer they switch sides and overlap the one below. The same thing happens with the long boards. You'll understand more when the first layer is complete.
Ok, that's what I was thinking originally. So the walls will basically be solid 2x6's all the way from the floor to the top of the tank, right?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Conner;3525700; said:
Ok, that's what I was thinking originally. So the walls will basically be solid 2x6's all the way from the floor to the top of the tank, right?
Just the front will be solid. The sides and back have 1' high x about 30" spaces between each set of 3 2x6 beams. You can see where I've started the risers and the space in between them.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
basslover34;3525708; said:
actually I was talking about your "beam" design but thats prob my fault for not being more specific :D
I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up with it, but it seems I'm the first on here to go horizontal instead of vertical. I completely redesigned the entire structure on October 7th after bouncing ideas off my friend with the 2 2K plus tanks. My design is completely different from his and as I said earlier I borrowed ideas from Joe and necroanis.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Great looking build so far. Do you have a time table for completion? What about stocking?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd like to get it done as soon as possible, but even when the tank construction in complete there's a 2 week cure time on Blue Max that I will have to wait out before even filling the tank.

Initial stock will be from my 210:

7 Herichthys sp. turquoise ('Cazones')
5 bocourti
leucistic giant gourami
5 clown loaches
3 botia modesta
pair ports
fat sleeper goby
Acarichthys hecklii
H. temporalis (chocolate cichlid)
4 silver arowanas

and whatever my friend Jack sends over from his two 2K plus tanks. quite possible two types of distichodus and some flagtail prochilodus

Primary stock when the tank is settled in:

Arapaima gigas
motoro rays
azul peacock bass
giant gouramis
arowanas
fire eels

some of the smaller fish will have to be removed as the larger fish grow

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Some filtration possibles:

4 32 gallon canisters of my own design most each filled with different media (bioballs, activated carbon, noodles, etc.) force supplied from mid-lower level outlets from tank with inline pump to return to the equivalent of Aquaclear 1100s perched atop the tank walls.

Bag filter arrays sorta like John's but with similar feed plumbing as the canisters or inline with them.

Continual water change system will be in place with RO/DI partial mix with filtered tap water reducing TDS and subsequently hardness and pH.

Tankless hotwater heater will provide heat boost, but heat pump/ac will control ambient room temp. Dehumidifier will be in place as well.

What I will not have is a sump and scrubbies.

chuck1947

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
South Carolina
I just finished a 500 gallon and a 1000 gallon approx aquariums... what a pain in the ass. I am a journeyman carpenter and still ran into more snags, leaks, etc then I care to talk about.. BTW what did you pay for the 2" acrylic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store