4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
1674.63 including shipping and tax from Laird Plastics then was credited 108.25 because the piece they shipped was 50x99 instead of 48x96 like I ordered. They credited me that as I guessed I had wasted $100 in Dow 795 sealant. They were going to pay for someone local to come out and cut it to the right size, but I wasn't comfortable putting my precious acrylic in the hands of a third part. That error on their part is the best thing that happened to this build. It lead to me coming up with the current design which is far superior to the original. I won't do business with anyone else. Laird is awesome and you can't beat their prices.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Main reason is a sump is just a settling tank for solids even if pre-filtered.

I've had my fair share of sumps, my 210 has a 55 gallon one, and many other tanks I've had over the years have as well.

There are better ways to filter tanks, particularly large ones, than a sump and scrubbies. If you explore the aquaculture industry, you won't find anyone using one.

Bassinkorea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
South Korea
nolapete;3526667; said:
Main reason is a sump is just a settling tank for solids even if pre-filtered.

I've had my fair share of sumps, my 210 has a 55 gallon one, and many other tanks I've had over the years have as well.

There are better ways to filter tanks, particularly large ones, than a sump and scrubbies. If you explore the aquaculture industry, you won't find anyone using one.
Cool. Like I said, I was just curious :D :D

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
yeah, I know. They work to a certain degree just like everything else. I just want to explore other options. I enjoy building filters and tweaking them. Sad that my sump is just a big hob filter now. I took out all the bio media and put a $3 bag of poly stuffing in there to catch the particulate matter and swap it out every couple weeks.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Rain, rain, go away. Well, I was able to see that there's two leaks in my roof I didn't know about, but that's another story altogether. I think it's coming in by the flashing. Fortunately, my neighbor is my roofer. :nilly:

Anyway, I started cutting 2x6s as soon as I got home from work and didn't stop until the sky turned black. I was able to pick up everything just in time. Here's what I was able to get fitted tonight. Hopefully, tomorrow night I'll be able to cut the last of the pieces for the first layer. Everything should make a lot more sense then.

I need to pick up some more lumber, return some things to Lowe's and pick up some more square driver bits. They make screwing 3" deck screws so much easier, as does the magnetic screw sleeve holder guide. Love that thing almost as much as my new speed square. It's fluorescent orange!

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store