4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
this thing is coming along great. keep it up its a beast in so many ways. if or when you move that would be heartbreaking to have to cut this thing up to remove it. might be more bearable though if it means your building a much bigger one in the new place. as for the roomate sucks to have someone that isn't at least interested in the same hobby. oh well I'm sure she will get tired of it and move on soon. keep it up I love this build and its coming so fast.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
To the window frame critics: It's deceptive how little seam strength is really needed in a large tank. What most people miss is the fact that while there are enormous forces at hand, there is also a ton of seam length to divide that force across.

The total force on pete's window (assuming 48x96) is around 8000lbs force
As Pete Mentioned, there are over 300 linear inches, so 26 pounds of force per linear inch of frame, with some variation over the frame to account for water depth and corner effects. Say 50 pounds per linear inch of 2x4. Now, I dunno how many of you have glued a little block properly to a larger chunk of wood then tried to knock it off, but it takes a heck of a lot more than 50lbs, and that's without screws. The shear strength of a deck screw the way they are employed here is on the order of hundreds of pounds. That frame is absolutely not going anywhere.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I know there are HUGE amounts of weight and pressures involved. But those 2 x 6 Stacks seem hugely overbuilt. But better safe then wet.

Amazing build. Wish I had the room to do something similar. Perhaps on a smaller scale.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store