4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3640423; said:
My plan is to have liquid rubber and acrylic making the only contact with water.
Enjoying the updates and living vicariously through you.

Regarding your quote above, does this mean that you'll be going over the Dow 795 with the Liquid Rubber and slightly overlapping onto the acrylic?

If so, have you run this by the manufacturers of both the Dow 795 and Liquid Rubber?

I ask because Dow 795 and other similar silicone PSAs have a fairly low surface energy and very few things stick to them when cured. And even if they do the bond is generally not as good as when done in the reverse order. In other words, 795 would likely bond better to cured Liquid Rubber than Liquid Rubber would bond to cured 795.

Not so say it won't work, however. I'm just curious if either manufacturer had a compelling reason why to do it the way you did.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
No, the liquid rubber will not be applied over the dow. A board coated with liquid rubber will though. Dow 795 is very different from other silicone. It remains pliable after curing. It bonds to the hard rubber extremely well, so I'm not worried about the bond. The contact bond with the liquid rubber will be only to the wood board and the acrylic.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Roommate went to a party, so I was able to get some work on the floor done. I still have to fill in all the short pieces, so before you ask, yes, there's going to be 3 layers of 2x6s throughout the entire floor support frame. What's great about needing short pieces is that I'm able to make use of all the short pieces of 2x6 that I have from cutting all the other boards. Very little waste from this project.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
One thing I didn't do with the seal that I wish I had is apply it to the acrylic instead of the wood frame. In hindsight, it would have gone much easier that way. I guess my thinking got thrown off by going with someone's good suggestion to dry fit the acrylic, tilt it back after, then apply the dow 795. Ken wasn't there as my second set of eyes since he just got out the hospital earlier last week. The front seal needs major work. Fortunately, dow 795 doesn't cure the same way regular silicone does and can be applied on existing and bonding to it. There isn't the horrible toxic eye-burning release either. It's rather pleasant to work with actually. I can't imagine how long it took to do the main window (21' x 8' x 5.5") on my friend's two tanks. That would be near impossible...

hothew84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2008
virgina
so are the french doors staying, also are those 2x4s the only thing holding the glass back if so i wouldnt trust it but i could be missing somthing.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
hothew84;3644171; said:
so are the french doors staying, also are those 2x4s the only thing holding the glass back if so i wouldnt trust it but i could be missing somthing.
Answered both of these throughout the thread, but here goes again for the lazy people who haven't taken the time to read it...

The french doors are staying in for several reasons:

1) I like the way they look on the outside front of my house
2) Impossible to get the size siding I have since they don't make it any longer
3) Closing in that wall even if I could do it would look like crap
4) If I ever sell my house, I'd have to put them back
5) I'd also need them in place to get the cut up tank and acrylic out

Reasons why I'm confident in the 2x4 frame

1) most builds I've seen have all the walls made of 2x4s not 2x6s like mine
2) the sheer strength of the friction bond of the liquid nails construction adhesive between the 2x4 and 2x6, unless you can put a wedge between the boards, they are like one board and you will break the board before you break the bond.
3) the number of 3" deck screws I put into the 2x4 that go through the 2x6 next to it.
4) over 300 linear inches of contact with the acrylic window that the forward thrust is distributed over
5) the additional friction stop of the dow 795 in front of the 2x4 frame
6) for the frame to fail, 2-5 would have to fail at the same time

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
nolapete;3644602; said:
2-5 would have to fail at the same time
Omg what if!

If I'm in LA when an atomic bomb hits, I hope i"m swimming in your aquarium so I'll survive it and live to repopulate the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store