4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3657624; said:
Tank framing is done!

It's now time for audience participation.

Should I Kilz the frame before putting the plywood in?
I would not apply Kilz as you don't want to slow or stop the transfer of vapor.

I would probably put foil-faced isocyanate insulation board inside of the floor framing, ideally with an air space between it and the slab and it and the plywood flooring.

This is how many of the ultra energy efficient "green" homes are built.

Good luck with scribing the plywood panels to this monster. Going to take some time but will be well worth it.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I would vote FOR the kilz, although I absolutely hate painting, mold is a *****. On the other hand, there is no way to kilz between the floor and your framing, which is where the worst potential exists.

I'd actually suggest carving some kind of air path between all the little chambers that will exist under the tank, so that any moisture can evaporate instead of accumulating.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3657990; said:
I was considering it because I have some Kilz 2, but decided that it's not worth the effort.
You know, cvermeulen makes a good point. Having some holes drilled for moisture to escape is a good idea. I originally assumed that your bottom layer was not perfectly flat with the floor but of course neglected to consider that it will be flush once the weight of the water is in place.

Living in New Orleans this especially important.

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
nolapete;3658331; said:
What does living in New Orleans have anything to do with it?
One of the highest water tables in the country.

This is why homes in parts of your city can get dry rot in their sill plates even if there is not any flooding. Moisture wicks up through the slab and into the sill plate.

Understand this is an issue pretty much everywhere, it's just a bigger issue in coastal areas.

I think some simple venting is a good idea.

All of the framed out areas below grade in my home are vented and I live in an area with a very low water table.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The tank is 8 inches above grade. The only way moisture is going to get under the tank is if I have a leak. The reason why homes here get any kind of rot, dry or otherwise, is because of the high humidity not the water table.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
I don't think you can go wrong doing it but may not be necassary. do you have any means of inspecting unted the tank on your test fill to see any leaks? or do you have to waite until it reaches the outside walls? if you can't Kilz might not be a bad idea. also the ability to move even a small amount of air under there will be good to keep the humidity down. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store