4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If you look at the pictures of the 2x6 tabs that I have to tie the front and side walls to the floor, I wasn't able to put those on the back wall because the acrylic was in the way. I want to tie the back wall to the floor to prevent any possible separation. I don't think toe-nailing 3" deck screws is enough.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;3662708; said:
Some of those 10" decking screws might make that an easy job. As it says on the box, "They zip right in!". Then you can connect the back wall to your interior floor with out removing anything or drilling in the concrete.

I would put a washer on the heads though in your case.
Where can I get those? Would Lowe's have something like that?

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Probably. Any decent HW store that caters to deck building has them. They're for screwing 6x6's together, so I think they'll work in your case too. I believe they have around 5k shear and pull out strength.

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
Great looking build, just fnished reading all the way through it. Can't wait to see this Monster Tank finished. What are the stocking plans?

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;3662749; said:
Probably. Any decent HW store that caters to deck building has them. They're for screwing 6x6's together, so I think they'll work in your case too. I believe they have around 5k shear and pull out strength.
No luck at Lowe's, so I bought 10 - 8" 3/8" lag bolts and a 5/16" speed spade bit. Of course, I forgot to buy washers...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
amazonfishman;3662972; said:
Great looking build, just fnished reading all the way through it. Can't wait to see this Monster Tank finished. What are the stocking plans?
Eventually, Arapaima, Azul pbass, rays...

Right off, bocourti, ports, turquoise herichthys, clown loaches, redtail blue botias, leporinus fasciatus, flagtail prochilodus, rt cat, silver arowanas, giant gourami and most likely a bunch of fish from my friend's 2600 gallon tank.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
spiff;3663203; said:
Doh!

Here's what I was talking about... Some are glue-lube coated so they go in easily but then glue themselves in place once they cool off from screwing them in.

http://fasteners.hardwarestore.com/...r-screws/hex-washer-timber-screws-510930.aspx

Lag screws work too though. You'll just have to pre-drill. And get washers.
Yeah, I'm going to squeeze some liquid nails construction adhesive in the holes before I screw them in.

Going to do three sets of pairs, one inside one outside, then two on each of the center beams that come from the front of the tank from the outside. Also , going to remove the boards on the inside right next to the wall first and put liquid nails between each board and between the back wall and them.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Friend is coming over to help with the plywood on Saturday. Tomorrow at lunch going to Lowe's to pick up some square drive screws, probably shorter version of the deck screws I've been using. The drywall screws I have and was attempting to use tear up the bit before I can get them flush. I can jam with the deck screws and get the pieces I have cut up fairly quick. Going to try to get the lag bolts installed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store