4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burko

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Australia
"I want to cut the seams in first with several coats before doing the rest of the tank for added strength. "

There should be a cloth tape available to help stop the rubber from being squeezed into and maybe through the seams, when under pressure. It does stay pliable after setting.

With the heating... would it be feasible to heat the room instead of the tank?

Good luck with your Monster project.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It won't be squeezed through the seams. I'm filling every crack with construction adhesive then sanding any high spots. I don't think seam tape is recommended or necessary with this product.

I wouldn't want to heat the room as that would make it more difficult to cool my house. It will be difficult enough to keep evaporation and humidity under control with just the tank heated.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Griller;3685541; said:
What is the weather like in LA? Have you considered adding a solar pool heater to reduce running costs?

Here is a DIY system for $375
http://www.affordablepools.com.au/myweb/solar_kits.html

You will still need another heater for days without warm sun but this could take the pressure off your bill.
As I've said before, our coolest months are mostly overcast, so solar heating is not a viable option.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
You should just invite over a bunch of MFK members and have them breath on the tank. There's enough hot air here to keep it heated for a long time ;).

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=351-75227-UPV22480&lpage=none

Put these up on the middle 4 sections of the roof between the rafters on the tank side of the room all the way up to the peak. Have to cut the short pieces from the last two to finish up then i can start putting up the insulation.

Have to wait until Sunday to do the electrical work I need to do, so that I have daylight to see. I'm too chicken to work on any electrical without the main breaker off. I know what electricity can do. A friend was electrocuted in a work-related accident.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
nolapete;3688464; said:
Have to wait until Sunday to do the electrical work I need to do, so that I have daylight to see. I'm too chicken to work on any electrical without the main breaker off. I know what electricity can do. A friend was electrocuted in a work-related accident.
Heh, I've got a 110 year old house. I can't remember how many times I've been shocked working on lines I thought we had cut the breaker to... :irked: Not very fun.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
NOLAGT stopped by to drop off some festae F1 fry and the pacu, probably 16"+, and took some pics of the fish. Wow, Nikon D90 with remote slave flash takes some great pics. Can't wait for him to post them/send them to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store