4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Muni;3743400; said:
I do not recall what your using to waterproof this thing. Being that that is a rather closed in space I would HIGHLY recommend a respirator.

So after the wiring is finished up its time to waterproof right? I am at about the same point with my smaller build.
The US version of Zevlar, Pond Coat by Permadri. Water-based liquid rubber which brushes or rolls on. Won't be spraying it, so don't need a respirator. It is a bit alkaline, so they suggest rubber gloves and to avoid skin contact. About the same recommendations as Kilz2 has on it. Not anything as nasty as epoxy, fiberglass resin, or anything like that, but be assured I will have the doors open with plenty of fresh air.

Other than the wiring, we have some other fish room work to complete.

Reinstall attic stairs in laundry room to give access to attic area

Install 2x4 nailing surface boards in void spaces above front tank window

Install pop out attic access to area above area behind tank

Install wall covering, caulk, and paint

Paint exposed rafters with mold/mildew resistant paint

Backfill front seal of acrylic with Dow 795

Finish trim work on dining room side of tank window

Install back frame of tank window (2x6 frame that goes over the rubber seal and plywood and prevents any movement of acrylic when tank isn't full)

Install longer/heavier cords on shoplights (All cords will pass through 2-3" pvc pipe section to gather them neatly out of the way)

Attach shop lights above tank in rafters and install bulb sleeves over all bulbs

I think that's about it, but there could be other stuff I'm missing. I'm excluding filtration, heating, and such as those are after tank is sealed while I'm waiting for it to to dry. It has to have 15% or less moisture content to be fully cured.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
For which job?

If for the exterior and non water contact points then that would work ok. Not the best option. Kilz would be better to prevent mold growth from the large amount of moisture 4000 gallons will create.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Muni;3743821; said:
For which job?

If for the exterior and non water contact points then that would work ok. Not the best option. Kilz would be better to prevent mold growth from the large amount of moisture 4000 gallons will create.
ONLY Kilz Premium is mildew resistant. It is still only a primer and should have a topcoat. The rest of the Kilz products are NOT mildew resistant and only COVER stains.

Wanted to get my facts straight and backup what I initially said.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
It covers the surfaces needed which would prevent them from molding. Any mold that grows on the kilz can be wiped of with a scrubby sponge. I've used kilz for a lot of different jobs in the past. Worked great in a basement to prevent moisture from getting to some wood beams and causing further damage.

Its always your call. Just my 2 cents.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I've used Kilz a lot as well. It's a misconception that it is mildew resistant though, so unless I went with Kilz Premium I wouldn't get the result you initially indicated.

The reason I was looking at the Barn & Fence paint is that it IS mildew resistant, it's self-priming, and it's weather resistant as well. My plan from the start of this project was to cover all the surfaces of the room with weather resistant paint.

If I were to do it over, I would have done that first then built the tank. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
after looking at the product info I realized it's always been kilz premium we used.

The only time I've used regular kilz was when it was mixed with taping mud to make a texture for walls. Worked great. But I had a headache for a week after that job.

Sorry for any confusion. I didn't realize kilz had so many different varieties. Had to look at lables to see which one was which. It was the mildew resistant varitey not the normal. But that would mean that the kilz premium would work for you. But as mentioned it needs a top coat so you could paint it any color you want to match your home or reflect lighting. What ever the application would call for.

Also something that may be interesting is the paint I used on my stand and exterior of my tank. It is a UV and weather/water resistant deck paint I got from Ace hardware. I got mine out of the mismix pile for 8 bucks but I believe it goes for about 31 a gallon normally.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store