4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
looks good is that on a GFCI I had to ask just fro the safety aspect.. that is looking amazing. so how many printed pages is that? that tank is awesome. I can't wait to see the good pics after those teasers. I love this thread. keep it up we are living vicareously through you

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Decided against the GFCI on them for now. Considering putting a GFCI breaker for the lights, but have to work out the circuits in the fish room. There's at least 3-4 different circuits. Since there's no electrical inside the tank (no electric heaters, etc.), there's really not a big need for GFCI. Not like I'm going to work on the lights with the power on anyway.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Are you covering the top of the tank, or is it going to be open to the air in the room? If open to the air, then I'd be worried about moisture building up in the electrical boxes. That's the only electrical issue I can think of...

Bighurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
North Dakota
nolapete;3739639; said:
Decided against the GFCI on them for now. Considering putting a GFCI breaker for the lights, but have to work out the circuits in the fish room. There's at least 3-4 different circuits. Since there's no electrical inside the tank (no electric heaters, etc.), there's really not a big need for GFCI. Not like I'm going to work on the lights with the power on anyway.
I hope for your sake an inspector or city assessor doesn't stop in. That outlet above the tank is illegal as hell....no matter what version of NEC you use...

The lights are required to be on a GFCI unless they are sealed...

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Let me rephrase what I wrote. I plan to have GFCI, but haven't decided which way to go. I don't think it's necessary as far it being a safety issue because there won't be any electrical contact with the water in the tank.

In regard to anything meeting code, being legal, or whatever you have in your head. How many people build an aquarium or even have one 1/4 this size in their home? Anything legal, I have a very good attorney who is also my best fish nut friend who also has 2 2K plus tanks in his own home. Sure, they could probably say some code violation and make me change the electrical, but that's about it. I'd like you to show me what law there is against having an indoor swimming pool, pond, or gigantic aquarium.

Ask yourself this; is every outlet in all your bathrooms GFCI? Is every fixture sealed and/or have a UL whatever listing? I doubt most can answer yes on both of them.

The top will be covered with thin plexi on pvc frames, but will still have some venting for gas exchange.

Bighurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
North Dakota
nolapete;3741235; said:
Let me rephrase what I wrote. I plan to have GFCI, but haven't decided which way to go. I don't think it's necessary as far it being a safety issue because there won't be any electrical contact with the water in the tank.

In regard to anything meeting code, being legal, or whatever you have in your head. How many people build an aquarium or even have one 1/4 this size in their home? Anything legal, I have a very good attorney who is also my best fish nut friend who also has 2 2K plus tanks in his own home. Sure, they could probably say some code violation and make me change the electrical, but that's about it. I'd like you to show me what law there is against having an indoor swimming pool, pond, or gigantic aquarium.

Ask yourself this; is every outlet in all your bathrooms GFCI? Is every fixture sealed and/or have a UL whatever listing? I doubt most can answer yes on both of them.

The top will be covered with thin plexi on pvc frames, but will still have some venting for gas exchange.
I didn't say the tank was illegal just the electrical. Keeping a large tank in the home is fine and perfectly legal. In regards to the National Electric Code, the large body of water of this size should be wired in regards to an indoor swimming pool, or hot tub. Yes both those items are covered in the National Electric Code.

Attorney or not he is probably just as ignorant of the codes as yourself.

Regardless if that outlet is protected under GFCI its to close to the body of water, there is a minimum distance, look it up. Same goes for Lights, minimum distances. Remember Pools and Hot tubs don't have anything electric in the body of water either, all the pumps heaters, etc. are either under or aside the body of water. Doesn't mean they can dis-regard code as you have.

And Yes my Kitchen, Garage, Laundry Room, Basement, and Bathroom's all have GFCI protected outlets as required by NEC. My light in the bathroom isn't required to be sealed as its not above a body of water.

Best of Luck

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Bighurt;3740603; said:
I hope for your sake an inspector or city assessor doesn't stop in. That outlet above the tank is illegal as hell....no matter what version of NEC you use...

The lights are required to be on a GFCI unless they are sealed...

Good thing there's "laws" against the government stopping by a home with out a warrant signed by a judge. Worst case: his insurance company can deny a claim after something happened. No one can just"stop by" LOL This isn't 1940's Germany!

"Ve have Vays to make you talk" (strong German accent)...........:ROFL:

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
nolapete;3739639; said:
Since there's no electrical inside the tank (no electric heaters, etc.), there's really not a big need for GFCI.
Bighurt;3741713; said:
Remember Pools and Hot tubs don't have anything electric in the body of water either, all the pumps heaters, etc. are either under or aside the body of water. Doesn't mean they can dis-regard code as you have.
As you can see by the quote, there is no electrical inside the tank. So he's actually installing it exactly as a pool or hot tub. I won't bring up the light-distance from water thing, because I don't know how close they are. But the tank is going to be covered by plastic (as he stated), so they would have to bust through the plastic to get into the tank...

I'm not trying to support either side of the argument, just pointing out what was stated.

Anyways, awesome build, can't wait to see the tank get coated and water in it! I'm living vicariously through you since my fiance would NOT be down with me doing this to our extra bedroom (I asked :( ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store