4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bighurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
North Dakota
Egon;3741723; said:
Good thing there's "laws" against the government stopping by a home with out a warrant signed by a judge. Worst case: his insurance company can deny a claim after something happened. No one can just"stop by" LOL This isn't 1940's Germany!

"Ve have Vays to make you talk" (strong German accent)...........:ROFL:
That's correct, Assessors are a sly creature of and tend to talk their way into your home...once you let them in...

Bighurt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
North Dakota
Conner;3741749; said:
As you can see by the quote, there is no electrical inside the tank. So he's actually installing it exactly as a pool or hot tub. I won't bring up the light-distance from water thing, because I don't know how close they are. But the tank is going to be covered by plastic (as he stated), so they would have to bust through the plastic to get into the tank...

I'm not trying to support either side of the argument, just pointing out what was stated.

Anyways, awesome build, can't wait to see the tank get coated and water in it! I'm living vicariously through you since my fiance would NOT be down with me doing this to our extra bedroom (I asked :( ).
Like I said pools and Hot tubs don't have electrical in them either. And a cover has nothing to do with it, NEC has defined distances for which an outlet can be from a body of water.

NEC 680.43 Wall switches and outlets must be at least 5' horizontally from the inside wall of the unit.

Again best of luck....

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Bighurt;3741803; said:
NEC 680.43 Wall switches and outlets must be at least 5' horizontally from the inside wall of the unit.
Didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day, right? :)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Well, I wouldn't be able to have switches and outlets in that room at all if I were to put them 5' horizontal.

=====

Very productive work day today with Ken.

Outlet above front window now has GFCI in line.

The four outlets for the other lights are moved and are controlled properly by two pairs of three way switches.

I have the capacity to put 10 2 bulb 4' shop lights over the tank. I'll probably just have 6 for now which gives me the ability to have 2, 4, or 6 lights on. If I added the additional 4 fixtures, I could have the additional options of 8 or 10 lights on. Lots of flexibility.

The insulation is installed for the raised ceiling and has Pro Vent vent channels for proper ventilation. I have to pickup one more piece of Pro Vent to finish up the last section. I decided that closing in above the front window would make it very difficult to unplug the 2 fixtures and impossible to clean the front window without getting in the tank. That's why I need the extra piece. I thought I only had one, but ended up having two, so just one short on that.

We went over every seam, screw head, gap, etc. with Liquid Nails construction adhesive which is waterproof when dry and also bonds extremely well. According to the claim they make it should outlast the life of the project.

The best part of the day was installing the hard rubber gasket that bridges the seal between the Dow 795 and the Liquid Rubber coating. This completed the middle seal around the outer perimeter of the acrylic as well.

If our next work day goes like today, I should be ready to seal the tank and put up the wall covering in the room the next work day. So, to make that clear 2 more work days before we're ready for water.

Pictures incoming as soon as I get back from getting something to eat. We worked solid and didn't stop to get lunch so I'm starving.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Awesome. Its easier to work through the day when the end is in sight. Even more so when your working on something for yourself that you enjoy doing.

I had more fun building my stand and tank then I ever did building about 1000 stands a few years ago.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Please note that a lot of the wiring in the space above the tank is going to be moved into the attic side of the room the next work day we have. Other than the outlets that replaced the ceiling fans, everything was existing before I started working on the room. I didn't run the wiring and really don't want to hear crap about it.

If you have questions about anything other than old wiring, I'll be happy to answer them. Any questions about the old wiring, comments about it or code violations or that sort of thing will be ignored.

PICT0001.JPG

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0005.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

PICT0009.JPG

PICT0010.JPG

PICT0013.JPG

johns

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Santa Clarita California
Looking really good. I am excited to see water in it! Please keep us posted.
I apologize about My previous post.
Meant to be sarcastic. Not sure it was taken that way.

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I do not recall what your using to waterproof this thing. Being that that is a rather closed in space I would HIGHLY recommend a respirator.

So after the wiring is finished up its time to waterproof right? I am at about the same point with my smaller build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store