4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
Yeah sounds like a pretty good idea. Might want to consider a way to stop the skimmer when feeding.

I have a tank with a skimmer and the food can get pulled pretty quick to it, you have a MUCH larger tank but it's amazing how well a skimmer can pull stuff off. For now i just turn the pump off while feeding but i'm working on an elctronic device that i push a button and the pump stops then comes back on automatically after a certain amount of time, could be done with a timer if feed on a regualr schedal.

This of coarse matter mostly if you have floating food.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
only issue with your skimmer is that itlls need to be perfectly level or it won't draw water evenly. You might make out better cutting slits in the pipe so it behaves like a standard finger overflow.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
In search of digital thermostats with submersible probes that can control an electrical outlet.

If they can send a signal via wireless communication, all the better!

Also looking for inexpensive, reliable solenoid valves.

Citrinellus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
I just read this entire thread. Let me begin with I envy you. Can't wait for the next update. :D

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Do you think I could go with an external temperature probe at the end of the PEX run and adjust the temp that I'm checking for instead of going with an internal probe?

The tank temp probe will be in the tank and will control powering up the valve which is normally closed.

The PEX thermostat will open the valve when the temp at the end of the run is low enough and allow new hot water into the PEX.

Having the valve normally closed prevents hot water from constantly running through the PEX if the power goes out.

If hot water free flowed through the PEX with a normally open valve, the tank would overheat and kill the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store