4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
True :p

Ken just stopped by to talk about some of the tank work we need to do. His back is giving him trouble, so we're going to shoot for a work day on Monday since I'm off.

He's going to cut the two lengths of ABS 2" pipe for the skimmer. The skimmer bulkheads are going to be centered on the inner half of the cutout.

We decided to place two bulkheads on each side at the bottom. Each centered on half the cutout. This places them 6" off the bottom and should prevent substrate from getting in them and still pull debris off the bottom quite well.

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
please update us we are all eager to see where your @ on it

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Post 654 has the latest pictures. The weather has been too cold to paint and all last week I was taking care of a friend who was in intensive care at the hospital. Now that the weather is warming up a little and she's been discharged, I can get back to working in the room. It'll probably be a while before it's warm enough from California to New Orleans for me to be able to have the Pond Coat shipped. The plan is to finish out the room and everything else I need to do so that the only thing left is coating the tank, waiting for it to cure, then test fill.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
nolapete;3781433; said:
cvermeulen, that's what they make levels for :D
Well yes pete thanks for that :grinno:. My point wasn't that it's not possible, just that a surprisingly small discrepancy with the level of the pipe will mess with the idea of even flow - that is why most manufactured skimmers use the comb style (that and to keep plant leaves and crap out). That and my experiences with trying to cut a pvc pipe like you've described have been less than favorable. IME (and IMO) it would be easier to cut a couple hundred 1/8" slots with a table saw and a jig, but that's just my .02 ;)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Ken seemed to think what I was asking was easy, so we'll see. From what I gather, you have to have a blade with lots of tiny teeth to cut pipe this way. I'm sure you already know that. I'm just not all that saw friendly. I'm learning though.

We were able to quickly agree on the bulkhead placement. Usually, we butt heads a bit on stuff like that.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Hey Jonathan, good to see you bro!

3 day weekend starts today. Picking up a couple fish and a 90 gallon reef tank then heading home. Should be lots of work on the fish room and hopefully getting things done so not much will be left to do.

I know this build has taken a lot longer than most, but it is going to be finished. Just need to stop hitting these roadblocks and hurdles. Come on warm weather!!!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
warm weather! no comment ;)

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yeah, if you heard the wind howling outside right now you'd laugh at me. It's all wet out there too. I tore up the front yard trying to get my truck close enough to the house to unload the 90 gallon I got tonight. Fun doing that all by myself. Fortunately, I'm a professional!

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Yeah I'm familiar with windy rain. I wouldn't get anything done in that kind of crap either, regardless of actual air temperature. I have to chuckle up here where I am... people get upset if the temp rises anywhere near freezing in the winter cuz it means mud and freezing rain. Cold and clear is much nicer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store