4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Here Fishy Fishy;3891341; said:
Hey Pete,
I've been following your build and it has been an inspiration. I would like to build one just like yours one day. It sucks that you have to wait for the weather to warm before you can get the PermaDri. Have you considered Pond Armor's Pond Shield? I checked it out online and it looks good. I'm guessing you would need about 200 square feet of coverage at most. You could get a kit that covers 240 sq ft shipped for around $400. Can you tell I am as excited as you to see you fill it? Anyway, just a thought. Let me know what you think. http://www.pondarmor.com/index.htm
No thanks, I'm very much aware of Pond Armor and have no interest in using any kind of epoxy product. Personal preference is to use a water based product not a glycol based one. I'm committed to using the Permadri product, so I'm going to wait it out. Dan at USI Coatings should be back this week from the trade show in Vegas. I'm going to call to see what the status is on his shipment from Permadri tomorrow.

After the trouble TheFishGuy and others have had with it, I would not use Pond Armor. I know John and Rich haven't had any problems with it, but both of their builds are over concrete surfaces (Rich used hardi board). I think that plywood alone has too much give for it to work properly.

I have 300 sq. ft. or so to cover.

====

Ken and I started prepping the new filter drums this weekend. I have to order some fittings and pick up some parts. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Open Water Predator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
nolapete;3896343; said:
After the trouble TheFishGuy and others have had with it, I would not use Pond Armor. I know John and Rich haven't had any problems with it, but both of their builds are over concrete surfaces (Rich used hardi board). I think that plywood alone has too much give for it to work properly.
Agreed. Plywood should be reinforced with fiberglass if epoxy is to be used. Have you considered using a liner? I'm sure you have. I know they've been used successfully in many plywood constructions. They have many pros:
  • Cost-effective
  • Durable. 45 mil liners are available with 20 year warranties!
  • Easy to use
  • Not labor intensive

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
My friend has liners in his 2600 and other 2000 plus tanks. I initially was going to go that route, but changed my mind after discovering Blue Max and subsequently liquid rubber Zavlar (pond coat in US). At this point, I'm almost inclined to revert back to that idea and use the gallon of Pond Coat I have to stick the liner to the plywood by the bulkhead fittings and where it meets the acrylic. It sure would be cheaper and eliminate having to wait to ship it.

I'm sure the 20 year warranty is void once you cut holes in it though.

vette76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
denver
new member here ,,,,all i can say is wow you got balls bro. thats something i would think about doing but wife would kill me lol. cant waute to see it full ahhhhhhh living the dream......

johns

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
Santa Clarita California
vette76;3899114; said:
new member here ,,,,all i can say is wow you got balls bro. thats something i would think about doing but wife would kill me lol. cant waute to see it full ahhhhhhh living the dream......
I am thinking You did not read the whole thread... Lol

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;3900407; said:
Thought you got Rubber Coat instead of Pond Coat? Or was that someone else? Going to call both USI distributors and see if either has it now. Didn't get a chance to today.
Same stuff according to the dealer. I spoke with Scott at the NC distributor who said that it's just a different name for the same product Perma-Dri puts out. Hope I have not messed up here and got bad info....that would be unfortunate! In a mad panic I went to the Perma-Dri website and reviewed the info and MSDS sheets and except for the name on the bucket, it seems to be the same stuff with the same properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store