4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;3905339; said:
Ordering Rubber Coat from NC on Monday! Just got off the phone with Scott at USI Coatings there. If anyone ever has any doubts about the Permadri products, they need to have a conversation with Scott. He's an applicator, not a salesman, who uses the product daily.

Thanks BadOleRoss!!!
Glad I could help. I spent more then a few minutes talking to Scott when I was there a week ago. Great guy!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
TheFishGuy;3905392; said:
Yes, my tank leaked... Gotta rub it in do ya... The leak had nothing to do with how quick it got done...
Yeah I'm really looking forward to this Pond Coat rubber stuff. If this works, it should, we may see a lot of massive builds going on. We might even see a shift in the hobby where thousand gallon tanks are the norm. Technically speaking a person wont need to be a carpenter to build a tank. Just your basic wood working hobbyist should be able to get the job done.

I'm very curious about the lower seams of this build. This is a deep tank! Could the Pond Coat squeeze out through a seam over time and finally rip open/fail? Kind of like an over pressurized inner tube pushing through a hole in a tire, a bubble starts to form. The wood will flex a little under that pressure, if the Pond Coat stretches with the wood everything will be fine. If it slips through gaps in the wood and starts to squeeze out...........I don't think this will happen because it's warranted after a certain thickness. I think Pete may have found a solution to waterproofing a wood tank! :headbang2

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
Gotcha, but do you know how bad it sucks when 1500 gallons wants to come out and play... Uninvited... It sucks, the world ceases to exist until a pond or something is set up to hold the fish... THe last time I decided to use pond liner and a big wood box 7'x7'x3' and the darn pacu CHEWED threw the liner... Friggin CHEWWED right threw it! Water everywhere.... Unbelieveable... I even tied the filter to the tank to the pond...

OK, Not my thread... Carry on.... LOL

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Sealants will never take the place of good woodworking skills. This stuff sounds strong but I doubt it is that strong.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
As far as the lower seams and the pond coat squeezing out of the bottom over time,a simple way to make sure this did not happen would be to fill all seams with wood putty or glue the seams before applying the PC. Granted, the pressure could push the putty out as well. See the way this stuff sets up, I dont see that happening. Pete, I found the best way to apply PC was to brush it on and then run a foam roller over it to smooth it out.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Egon;3905530; said:
Yeah I'm really looking forward to this Pond Coat rubber stuff. If this works, it should, we may see a lot of massive builds going on. We might even see a shift in the hobby where thousand gallon tanks are the norm. Technically speaking a person wont need to be a carpenter to build a tank. Just your basic wood working hobbyist should be able to get the job done.

I'm very curious about the lower seams of this build. This is a deep tank! Could the Pond Coat squeeze out through a seam over time and finally rip open/fail? Kind of like an over pressurized inner tube pushing through a hole in a tire, a bubble starts to form. The wood will flex a little under that pressure, if the Pond Coat stretches with the wood everything will be fine. If it slips through gaps in the wood and starts to squeeze out...........I don't think this will happen because it's warranted after a certain thickness. I think Pete may have found a solution to waterproofing a wood tank! :headbang2
There's nothing ripping open anything on this tank, especially at the seams. That's where the most strength is. With the exception of the cutouts for plumbing, the tank is six inches of solid wood. There's no gaps for it to slip through. The inside is sheathed in 3/4" plywood. Every corner will have reinforcing mesh tape.

Scott told me that they pushed a nail through it on a test with water in the container. It didn't leak with the nail through it and didn't leak when they took the nail out.

There's no IF with pond coat/rubber coat stretching. It has 850% elasticity!

This stuff bonds to metal, wood, concrete, cardboard, and just about any other surface.

Scott told me you could dig a hole and spray it in and have a pond. He said to use landscape cloth on the walls for deep ponds. No framing, no wood, etc. I'd put a header of some sort, but even so that's pretty amazing. And he's talking from experience not from a sales perspective. He doesn't even retail this stuff normally. He only uses it.

I used Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive to fill every crack, gap, seam, and to cover all the screw heads.

I'll be brushing on the seams then using a hopper gun $25 from Harbor freight to spray the rest of the tank and a pressure sprayer to spray calicum chloride on as I go.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
I hate to ask if has already been answered,but with pond coat,you just paint it on to the plywood? No need to reinforce the tank corners with fiberglass?Just make sure you have enough outside bracing for the tank and your good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store