4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
john73738;3905534; said:
Sealants will never take the place of good woodworking skills. This stuff sounds strong but I doubt it is that strong.

Chemical resistance Resistant to most inorganic solutions. Not recommended for gasoline or other petroleum products. Consult Chemical Resistance chart for further information.
Biological resistance ASTM E 154, ASTM 0412 Passed (> 90% original value)
Impact resistanceCSB37-GP-500 23oC, in-lbs Passed (168)
Water tightness after impact Passed (no leakage)
Water tightness CGSB 37-GP-56 Zero Leakage
Tensile strength ASTM 0412, psi 90
Elongation, % 850
Accelerated weathering, ASTM G 155,0 412 Passed (No deterioration of film)
Tensile strength Passed (> 90% original value)
Hardness, Durometer Type 00 85-87
Salt Fog Corrosion, Steel ASTM D412 1000 hours passing
SurfaceCorrosion ASTM D610 No Corrosion after 500 hours,
0.03% after 1000 hours
Adhesion to concrete ASTM C907 111 PSI
Hardness ASTM D2246 50 Type A
Puncture resistance CGSB 37-GP-56 No perforations
Water Vapor Transmissions ASTM E96 0.04
Try stretching any other coating 850% or any of the other tests they did and see if they still hold water. I doubt you'll find any that can compete.

I think Jonathan will attest that epoxy coatings leak at WAY less stretching. :D Sorry J, couldn't resist.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
fishbum;3905916; said:
I hate to ask if has already been answered,but with pond coat,you just paint it on to the plywood? No need to reinforce the tank corners with fiberglass?Just make sure you have enough outside bracing for the tank and your good to go?
No need to reinforce with fiberglass. All that is recommended is to use mesh tape between two layers where it goes over a gap 1/8" or larger. I don't have any gaps, so I really don't need to use it, but I already bought it so I will. Framed properly there will be no problems, but they've coated cardboard boxes with this stuff and they've held water year in year out. I wouldn't say a cardboard box is properly framed. Basically, if your container structure isn't compromised the seal isn't going to fail.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;3905928; said:
Try stretching any other coating 850% or any of the other tests they did and see if they still hold water. I doubt you'll find any that can compete.

I think Jonathan will attest that epoxy coatings leak at WAY less stretching. :D Sorry J, couldn't resist.
Awful lot of trash talking :) You must be taking a break while your filling the tank to shoot out these messages? :grinno:

fishtician

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2009
New york
Guys sorry about this question, but Im really new here. How do I "start a thread?" I can only reply to others post. Can't figure this out?? any help would be appreaciated.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
fishtician;3905973; said:
Guys sorry about this question, but Im really new here. How do I "start a thread?" I can only reply to others post. Can't figure this out?? any help would be appreaciated.
Go to the section you wnt to start the thread in, like DIY Projects and Ideas. On the main page where all the threads are listed, just below the banners at the top you will see a button on the left that says "new thread"......

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
nolapete;3905970; said:
Hardly trash talking. If I flood my house, I'm going to have to eat a lot of crow. I wouldn't be saying anything if I hadn't done my homework.
Oh yeah, I understand! When I filled my 450 I had a shop vac standing by and three garden hoses with pumps on them going out to the yard just incase there was a leak. LOL I thought that was a big tank!
Homework Homework Homework! And my personal favorite: let someone else go first........:D

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Not knocking the LR. I am doing my homework into all available options. When considering the scope of a project that is putting 300 for more gallons of water in your living room all I am saying is that every aspect of the project is important, including craftsmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store