4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry if your took it wrong, Was not talking about your build specifically. I was just commenting on the statement that the liquid rubber would replace woodworking craftsmanship in general. I have seen the pics, and you have a very good project. I as well have paid a lot of attention to my woodworking skills because I dont want to rely soley on the sealant to keep the water in.

So if I have been :footinmou:footinmou:footinmou:footinmou Then I am sorry. (Been doing that a lot lately :screwy:)

Bear

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
john73738;3906473; said:
Sorry if your took it wrong, Was not talking about your build specifically. I was just commenting on the statement that the liquid rubber would replace woodworking craftsmanship in general. I have seen the pics, and you have a very good project. I as well have paid a lot of attention to my woodworking skills because I dont want to rely soley on the sealant to keep the water in.

So if I have been :footinmou:footinmou:footinmou:footinmou Then I am sorry. (Been doing that a lot lately :screwy:)

Bear
He didn't say that liquid rubber would replace woodworking craftsmanship in general. He said that it would be a better way of sealing plywood tanks. In the past, we've always only had the option of epoxy coatings. And only a few claimed to be fish safe.

The non-epoxy coatings that people tried were iffy at best and NONE were guaranteed to be fish safe.

The Liquid Rubber/Permadri products give us an alternative that we can rely on.

IMHO, if you want to go epoxy, Pond Shield is the way to go. If you don't, then the Liquid Rubber/Permadri is what you should use.

Just know that if you DON'T have a solid, immovable surface without any possibility of flex, epoxy is NOT what you want to use.

Also, to answer the silicone issue with Liquid Rubber.

Liquid Rubber can bridge over cured silicone to another surface. In example, with my tank. I sealed the acrylic with Dow 795 and installed a rubber gasket over it. I'm going from the plywood over the rubber gasket and on to the acrylic. I could have gone over the Dow 795 to the acrylic, but I'm obsessive about having redundancy built in.

Only my Tank Expansion project tanks, I'm sealing the glass to the frame with silicone then on the inside of the tank the Liquid Rubber will go on the plywood and overlap on to the glass.

You're basically just setting the glass with silicone on the front side then actually sealing it with Liquid Rubber on the back side which is hidden by the frame.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
Pete, have you gotten a chance to even work with a sample? I just made a discovery. Let me explain. In my wildest dreams there'd be a product I could paint on a cracked tank, let it dry then put the tank back into service...

Well, my initial tests of this product involved doing just that. So I grabbed a handfull of 10's with cracks from the shed, a couple 20Hs and a 20 long or two and started painting this stuff on. A week later I filled them up and the pond coat just rolled right off...

So I written the stuff off because I was told it would adhear to glass... I threw a couple of the tanks back out in the shed and actually set a 10 gallon in a 20H. The entire floor of the 20H had pond coat on it... Well, I just tried to pull the 10 out of the tank and it won't budge... So for the heck of it I decided to test fill one of the tanks that I painted over a crack and it's been holding water for two weeks and I can't seem to peel off the material.

Getting to the point... It seems as if this stuff does adhear to glass quite well, but it's been four months since I painted it...

So is spraying it with Calcium Chloride solution really going to cause it to set up immediately? My concern is with the sealing of the glass...

broken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2009
Louisiana
I went fishing today and saw some cypress trees along the banks of the bayou i was fishing in and i remembered you mentioning how you were thinking of incorperating cypress knees into the decorations in this tank and i realised that it would look totally awesome. I defenately think you should do that.
If it wasnt for the fact that i was fishing on a reserve i would have grabbed a couple for myself.
Do you know if cypress is fish safe or if it leaches and harmfull chemicals ?
If it is fish safe I will defenately have to start looking for some.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Yes, the professional spray applicator has two nozzles. One for the the liquid rubber and the other for calcium chloride solution. It sets up in that it doesn't run. It still needs to cure.

I'd guess that the tanks had some film on the glass preventing the Pond Coat from bonding. It could have been that it was too humid and it hadn't fully cured. Permadri recommends using a moisture meter to verify that it is 15% or less

Furthermore, before filling the tank with water you will need to make sure the membrane is completely cured. The cured membrane needs to be 15% or less moisture content. Home Depot sells moisture meters between $7-$15 dollars.
Glad you found a use for the product that makes you happy. If people think outside the box, they'll learn that the Liquid Rubber product is pretty amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store