4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TheFishGuy;3983473; said:
could you please refresh my memory as to how you sealed or are going to seal the pc?

Also, what thickness is the pc?
I don't understand the first question Jonathan. The Permadri coating is the sealant and does NOT need to be sealed.

The thickness of the Permadri coating will be that of two credit cards (60 mil) when I'm done.

The CORRECT method of applying it is very thin coats until it reaches the desired thickness. Applying it in thick coats will result in long cure times. It specifically says to AVOID pooling. The thin coats build on each other to form the waterproof membrane. The membrane must be 15% maximum moisture content to be properly cured. A moisture meter can determine this and is available from Home Depot/Lowe's.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
greengiant;3983265; said:
wow looking good Pete glad to see the progress. I am hoping to get my PC ordered this week then you guys can see my first kick at a ply tank build. I am getting 5 gallons to do a central sump about 300G and a 350G tank. I am always looking to your thread as inspiration but it won't be built the same. just the sealer. mine neads to be portable
Check out my 90 Gallon Expansion thread. You might like what you see there.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Thongy, anything is possible.

====

While we're waiting for Jonathan to enlighten me with what this mystery "pc" is, I must say I sadly didn't get a thing done tonight on the tank. I did however score a nice Craigslist deal for a friend which he counter-offered the guy $10 lower than he was asking and got it. What might you ask is "it?" It, unlike the mystery "pc" is known. It was a very dirty, but drilled 5 ft. 125 gallon tank. My friend got it for $80 :D.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'm going to try using my non-existent psychic powers and guess that Jonathan is referring to the plywood covering by "pc."

Yes, I am applying the Permadri coating directly to it. Yes, it can be used on wood and it has been thoroughly tested.

It's 3/4" plywood, not exterior grade, not pressure treated, blah, blah, blah.

If I have any left over after coating the outside, I'm considering putting a single coat on the outside too.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
nolapete;3983140; said:
Quite honestly, I found that not to be the case if you apply it thin like Permadri says to. The walls were dry with a light tack within minutes after brushing it on. I didn't understand why you were getting it all over everything, but do now. You're using too thick of a coat.

As far as the floor goes, I have a few ideas, but won't decide on exactly how until we're done with the bead board on the ceiling. Spraying it would be difficult with the hopper being open topped.

I don't know if I'm going to spray any of it yet. I may just roll/brush apply the whole thing.
My coats only remained with a light tack but you will find that touching that light tack and standing on it will give will very different results. My coats were similsr to the way you would apply latex paint. I would never let it pool, that would never dry! I got best results brushing then rolling! Gave it a nice smooth finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store