4300 Gallon Plywood Build (3600+ Take 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
TheFishGuy;3985054; said:
By "pc" I mean poly carbonate. Is that what your front window pane is? I keep seeing "pc" through out the thread.... I must be missing something....
PC on this thread equals POND COAT

My window is cell cast acrylic. As far as I know, poly carbonate is an extruded product and not acceptable for large aquarium construction.

MFK2009

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2009
Manitoba
On Sunday I applied a first coat on 3/4 plywood 96x30x26 of the liquid rubber/pond coat (LR), I have tried various tools to do this in experiments on metal and wood surfaces, various rollers, brushs, paint pad types. A lot of them you get problems getting that thin coat consistently

Found that using a STAIN BRUSH its 1 1/2 x 6 inchs in size, like two regular paint brush's side by side. Just touch the top of LR in its pail and then holding like a floor brush (not by the handle) rub in a circular motion. This applied a very thin coat and virtually no brush marks, tested two days later with meter and its dry. In corners used 2 inch foam brush to get the LR in corners good and then used the stain brush to thin the coat down nicely. Used about a 1/4 gallon on first coat of inside tank.

Will see how this brush type works on 2nd coat this weekend, but for the first coat I would recommend a Stain Brush. :)

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
nolapete;3985132; said:
PC on this thread equals POND COAT

My window is cell cast acrylic. As far as I know, poly carbonate is an extruded product and not acceptable for large aquarium construction.
Ok, I'm :screwy: LOL, I've been working with poly carbonate quite a bit lately LOL

Why wouldn't poly carbonate work? What reasons besides it's an extruded product are there?

CJH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2007
*Confidential*
TheFishGuy;3986288; said:
Ok, I'm :screwy: LOL, I've been working with poly carbonate quite a bit lately LOL

Why wouldn't poly carbonate work? What reasons besides it's an extruded product are there?
Extruded polycarbonate is more than strong enough for a fish tank. But it will be more expensive and more flexible at a given thickness. But if you can get leftover for free or cheap from work then it's worth considering. I have found polycarbonate harder to scratch and much harder to polish vs. acrylic.

There is a lot of fuss made on fish forums about "extruded", "continous cast" and "cell cast" acrylic.

Unfortunately with all of the cheap cell cast acrylic coming in from China it's no longer as simple as saying one is better than the other. There are cell cast acrylics I would not use for a large aquarium. I might use them for a window in a plywood build but I would not use them if surface prep and solvent welding an entire acrylic tank were my goal.

So without getting anymore indepth, I'll just say that it's no longer a case where acrylic is always better than polycarabonate and cell cast acrylic is always better than continuous cast or extruded.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
CJH;3986988; said:
Extruded polycarbonate is more than strong enough for a fish tank. But it will be more expensive and more flexible at a given thickness. But if you can get leftover for free or cheap from work then it's worth considering. I have found polycarbonate harder to scratch and much harder to polish vs. acrylic.

There is a lot of fuss made on fish forums about "extruded", "continous cast" and "cell cast" acrylic.

Unfortunately with all of the cheap cell cast acrylic coming in from China it's no longer as simple as saying one is better than the other. There are cell cast acrylics I would not use for a large aquarium. I might use them for a window in a plywood build but I would not use them if surface prep and solvent welding an entire acrylic tank were my goal.

So without getting anymore indepth, I'll just say that it's no longer a case where acrylic is always better than polycarabonate and cell cast acrylic is always better than continuous cast or extruded.
EXTREMELY BAD ADVICE! It is well-known that extruded is NOT strong enough to hold the pressures of larger aquariums. While extruded may work for sumps and smaller aquariums. DO NOT attempt to use on larger aquariums. You need CELL CAST acrylic.

There are two basic types of acrylic: extruded and cell cast. Extruded or "continuous cast" acrylic is made by a less expensive process, is softer, can scratch easier and may contain impurities. Cell cast acrylic is a higher quality acrylic and U.S. domestic cell cast is a good choice for applications that require the best. Imported cell cast acrylic is often manufactured to lesser standards.

TheFishGuy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
North east Ohio
www.monsterfishrescue.com
ok, everyone chillax.... Large tank construction is a vauge term don't ya think? Large is a matter of opinion. I have 3/4" pc (poly carbonate) available to me at a very very cheap price. I want to experiment with it. Pete, how big do you think I could go with a piece of 3/4"? What's your opinion CJH?

Keep in mind I have no idea if this stuff is imported or not. They are 8'x42" scraps.

(sorry to derail pete, if you would like me to start my own thread I will)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store