500 gallon

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
blacksnow;3143706; said:
You plan on coating the outside of the tank in this as well?

If not, what is your plan for dressing up the exterior of the tank?

Also any reason you didn't do 1 or 2 side panes?
I have no idea what I am doing to the outside, I will take the palm sander tomorrow and make it smooth for whatever I choose.

1 or 2 panes?

blacksnow

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2009
Monoculus ;)
rED O;3143726; said:
I have no idea what I am doing to the outside, I will take the palm sander tomorrow and make it smooth for whatever I choose.

1 or 2 panes?
You only did a front viewing pane. Wondering why you didn't put a side viewing pane

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
blacksnow;3143748; said:
You only did a front viewing pane. Wondering why you didn't put a side viewing pane
reason one
plywood is cheaper then glass

reason two
plywood is way lighter then glass

reason three
the fish act more natural when there is only one viewing window because there are no disractions for them to get spooked like people walking on the side of the tank.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
the tank is done, just waiting for the lining. here are some pictures.
glass in with no silicone, the aquarium clubs glass suction cups witch I will return tuesday :shifty:

later... with 3 tubes of aquarium safe silicone

look how level she is, good thing for leveling legs.

with the braces back in

and handles to make moving easy ( down the stairs with .5'' clearence)

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I like the handles idea. Thought of doing it on yseveral of my tanks before, but never wound up following through.

I am confused about your order of operations though... why would you silicone the glass to bare wood before coating? Would it not make much more sense to have the wood waterproofed with the polyurea before siliconing the glass to the poly? How are you going to ensure that there is no gap between your silicone and the polyurea? How are you going to address it if your silicone leaks at all? Even if it doesn't leak I'd constantly worry about water somehow creeping between the wood and silicone.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
well there is going to be silicone and polyurea. the polyurea is going to cover about 1' around the glass and spray everything. So I don't see how a leak could occur.

D-WALT

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 2, 2009
North Carolina
really nice tank! good luck with everything and i think your doing a great job on all of it!! cant wait til the next update..:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store