Albino Ruby Oscar

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
Banjardini;3031391; said:
Yeah I agree with the guy that says its worth 5 bucks I saw them at my lfs but didn't buy it cause it might be a dyed fish, as for the eyes I wasn't paying attention cause it was marked as "albino ruby oscar" so i don't know if it was red or black they were around 2-3". And oscar sulking is very normal I once had one that even turned down blood worms.
In response to this does anyone else think this is a dyed fish. As far as i know and can tell its not. The only dyed ones i've seen are the blueberry ones. Also are ghost shrimp any better than feeders or just as bad? They are the only thing he eats so far.

Ravyn_Smoke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Winfield, Kansas
I don't think he's dyed. As far as feeding, I wouldn't offer him anything but pellets until he willingly takes them and only then work treats into his diet. The last thing you want is a picky Oscar. One his size could easily go a week without eating and he's not going to let himself starve.

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
I agree. Hold off on the live food, make him eat the pellets. He will eat them eventually. Not a dyed fish either. Very nice specimen you have there.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Ravyn_Smoke;3034269; said:
I don't think he's dyed. As far as feeding, I wouldn't offer him anything but pellets until he willingly takes them and only then work treats into his diet. The last thing you want is a picky Oscar. One his size could easily go a week without eating and he's not going to let himself starve.

I concur as well...not dyed, as someone else stated, at that size it would have faded by now...when blueberry oscars first came out there were also strawberry oscars but they were more pinkish all over...this one just looks like a very high quality, probably line bred variant to bring out the red coloration.

As for feeding...offer a few pellets a day until he starts taking them and don't feed anything else until he is eating pellets regularly. If you feed live foods too often the oscar will start getting picky and stop eating prepared foods. Live foods should be a once or twice a week AT MOST treat. :)

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
I deffinitely agree i dont want to get him hooked on live but i just wanted to make sure he would eat something. Usually my test to see if a fish is gonna make it is if it eats well soon after be added to my tank. (just something i do whether it works or not) which is why im worried because he really doesnt eat. How long is too long. Last think he ate was ONE shrimp pellet and that was yesterday. At his size i doubt a shrimp pellet was enough. He still hangs arround at the bottom right of my tank. But he does occasionally chase of any fish that annoy him and then returns. I've had him since friday.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
quikksilver8;3031259; said:
Hey everyone... Im kinda concerned. My oscar still has not eaten anything but one tiny feeder guppy since ive gotten him. How serious is this. I got him thursday night. He also hides allot. Any suggestions on how to entice him???

yall gonna think im nuts but talk to him like hes catching the vibe of what you are saying. I talk to all my fish

for me my fish are living creatures, though they may not speak english they do speak emotion.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
AS everyone said, sulking for up to a week is normal oscar behavior. Will also go slower or faster depending on decor, water quality and tank mates. Where in Tampa did you get him?

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
I actualy got him from a place in clearwater called countryside aquarium. Really cool little place. Claim to be able to get pretty much any fish for you.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
<~ I think your nuts... but there's nothing wrong with being nuts ;-)

A healthy Oscar can easily go a week, maybe even two, without eating with no ill effects...

If a fish is hesitant to eat, feeding it 'special foods' may spoil it from the start and then it will only accept special foods. I'd suggest feeding only the staple diet you plan to use until it starts eating properly... then after it's eating for a week or two give him occasional treats.

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
are ghost shrimp any better than feeders or can they still have the same parasites. By treat to you mean live or things like frozen bloodworms?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store