Building a Mega-Home Marine Tank (18,000 GA) Need Advice All Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I saw another post of an 8,000 Gallon outdoor aquarium and I think the same building principals I think we can use wood as the exterior frame, use fiberglass in the interior, and still use the same methods like the panel acrylic panels to the front of the aquarium. I think we could reinforce the tank and using wood would be more cost effective. It however would me at least 8,000 more gallons of water, what do some of you think I am just bouncing ideas from looking at other people’s applications. Any advice would be great. On the heating that maybe a viable option running pipes or even geo thermal using the ground temperature and using a outdoor tank and just create a system where the water is recycled into the tank. Again any ideas would be helpful.

hangner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2007
Quebec, Can//San Diego, Ca
i dunno about wood on something this size, what dimensions were in your mind?
you need to find wood of that lenght or join multiple pieces, then youll need lots of layers of plywood to hold that kind of weight back(3 x 3/4?) add all those pieces and wood starts to become expensive.

Arowanana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
NC
I know I'm kinda a newbie, but I just read this whole thread and it seems kinda ridiculous. OP...in lieu of all of these derails and whatnot, I would suggest starting a new thread when you have some pics or something that will ensure its 4real.

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
To offset a lot of weight issues the tank will be reinforced with steel cable wire shown in the picture I uploaded. This will offset a lot of the pressure provided by the water and it will pull the back/front , and side/side together. Will also be reinforced in the middle and covered, but am not sure how we will accomplish the middle of the take but your right the outside frame will need to be reinforce with double layers and they do make pieces long enough. They are those real large pieces. But we may need too do as you said.

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
No thanks but no thanks the process is to gain knowledge and insight and that what the post is for if people want to tune in just to see pictures the go get Aquarium Magazine of Fish Magazine etc. But if you have some valuable insight on this and think you can help then please by all means tune in and give some great advice.

ghengis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
Cairns, Australia
Steel cable...?? Umm, yeah, nah. Maybe steel I-beams or box section... You'd never get the amount of tension in the cable that would be needed to hold this, unless you used something as used on the Golden Gate...even then, the achoring points would need to be incredibly solid, to hold such tension...

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The anchor would be embed through the reinforced points of the wood if we use wood or other material its hard to explain but I appreciate the post help you bring up some good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store