Status
Not open for further replies.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
xtrememarinetanker;2467515; said:
well since the panels would be 15 x 5.6 and a my door way is 84' you would just turn to the smaller side and walk through the door way one by one so I think that would be a good way to go

Ah, using the door. Good idea. You must have a nice sized house to be able walk something 15ft into the door with no obstructions.

loogielv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Las Vegas, USA
xtrememarinetanker;2467546;2467546 said:
guess so but it would be hard to get something like that into the home ***l completed
what the ***l does ***l mean? :)

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
The thickest acrylic panel ever manufactured is about 2.5 feet thick. It was used at the Dubai Aquarium that opened up recently. The next thickest acrylic panels are about 2 ft thick. One at the Georgia Aquarium and the other at Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium.
If your acrylic supplier claims that they can get you 3 foot thick panels for $14,500, then I highly question how they got that estimate.

If you want a rough estimate of just acrylic resin cost alone before cell casting manufacturing process, you can figure that out with these resin prices-
http://www.ides.com/resinprice/resinpricingreport.asp
The resin alone for each panel would cost $38,654 If you get 5 panels = $193.273 and this does not include freight or cell casting manufacturing costs.

I doubt that anyone can manufacture 3ft thick acrylic anyway.

Even if you get a good price on the acrylic resin, like around $1.20 per pound, you still have to realize that you'll need 40 to 80 thousand pounds of it. Best of luck.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I don't think you'll need 3ft thick or 14" thick acrylic anyway. If you go with panels that are 15 foot x 5.6 foot, then all you'll need is about 4" thick acrylic. I probably should of told you this earlier, but I just wanted to have some fun with you first.

SkiPro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2008
Whitby
wow alot of haters on this site eh..... i give props to this guy for such a crazy idea. i cant wait to se some pics.

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
coolkeith;2467739; said:
The thickest acrylic panel ever manufactured is about 2.5 feet thick. It was used at the Dubai Aquarium that opened up recently. The next thickest acrylic panels are about 2 ft thick. One at the Georgia Aquarium and the other at Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium.
If your acrylic supplier claims that they can get you 3 foot thick panels for $14,500, then I highly question how they got that estimate.

If you want a rough estimate of just acrylic resin cost alone before cell casting manufacturing process, you can figure that out with these resin prices-
http://www.ides.com/resinprice/resinpricingreport.asp
The resin alone for each panel would cost $38,654 If you get 5 panels = $193.273 and this does not include freight or cell casting manufacturing costs.

I doubt that anyone can manufacture 3ft thick acrylic anyway.

Even if you get a good price on the acrylic resin, like around $1.20 per pound, you still have to realize that you'll need 40 to 80 thousand pounds of it. Best of luck.
Ok guys I know that mostly that some people who commit want to poke holes in this but use some brain power and know when a typo is is a typo ok I did not mean 3ft thick most would know I meant 3 inches ok so if you’re going to commit I would appreciate advice you know that would help me not things like that typo when most know I meant 3 inches ok and the commit above about the house again if you have a panel that is 15 ft x 5.6 ft and 3 inch thick would you not just simply turn the acrylic panel to the smaller side and walk through and lets use the common since in this thing I know this is an ambitious project but know when a 3ft thick commit from typing fast is really 3 inch and again offer constructive advice maybe things I have missed or not thought about so when I start posting pictures you can say I gave him that Ideal, you know that would help me out more.

Oh and Skipro and others who are giving me advice and other kudos thank you. You make me want to cont to come here for advice from people more advanced than me.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
That's a major typo you made. There isn't enough brain power in the world to know what you were thinking. Is anyone here a mind reader? All is forgiven though.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
Q: How to I plan to power the aquarium?
A: This is one of the cool parts of the Aquarium, it will be supported by Solar Panel power structure that will aid in power supply especially during the day and at night feed off a storage system and of course the home but electricity cost are lower at night and I would only need four panels and a backyard shed to store the generator and power storage, and the cost aren’t that expensive either. I thought it would be a great way to go green and still enjoy the hobby. The tank would be completely off the grid.

SORRY TO BE A NUISANCE BUT YOU WILL NEED APPROX 120000 WATTS OR A 500 AMP 240 VOLT SERVICE. I DONT BELIEVE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BE OFF THE GRID. IT WILL BE LESS IF YOU USE GAS OR PROPANE HEATERS.

THIS IS THE SAME AS THE SERVICE FOR 5 SMALL HOMES OR 2.5 REASONABLE SIZED HOMES.

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.............. ??

xtrememarinetanker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Thats a good point thanks for that I think what we may have to do is bring in a cousltant that deals with alternative energy and see how we can power this thing form a solar stand point at least taking 70% or more off of the grid thanks for the advice it is very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store