Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

zoohouse

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Arlington
I am a contractor in the DFW (TX) area and the garbage around here doesn't pick up any construction waste. They also refuse to pick up anything heavier than 50#. Looking forward to hearing more about this tank though. I didn't read the whole post. what kind of filteration are you planning on running. At that size a pool filter might be in order. If I planned on keeping my current house forever then I would prob join you with my own indoor lake project.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It's not a big deal to put the cans in my pickup and run to the dump. Just shouldn't have to do it since I pay for garbage service.

I'm rethinking my idea of putting in the beamed ceiling for a couple reasons.

1) To do it properly, I'd probably have to, at the very least, hire a structural engineer or contractor to tell me how to do it in such a way as to not compromise the integrity of the roof.

2) One of my goals with this project is to make it relatively easy to remove the tank and put things back to "normal" should I decide to sell my house.

I'm going to put up some framing to attach drywall/sheetrock between the rafters then paint the rafters with the same exterior paint that I'll be painting the rest of the room with. It won't be as pretty, but it accelerates getting the tank done. I can always come back later and do the beamed ceiling if I change my mind.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
zoohouse;2896261; said:
I am a contractor in the DFW (TX) area and the garbage around here doesn't pick up any construction waste. They also refuse to pick up anything heavier than 50#. Looking forward to hearing more about this tank though. I didn't read the whole post. what kind of filteration are you planning on running. At that size a pool filter might be in order. If I planned on keeping my current house forever then I would prob join you with my own indoor lake project.
I'll be using several filtration subsystems with specific purposes rather than 1 or 2 larger systems.

I've written some about my sock filter array and there's pictures of the 4 12 gallon water containers that will be made into canister filters.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Uggh, $1250 before tax and shipping for the 4'x8' acrylic through my friend's source. He had the $600 number in his head from designing another project and had forgotten that was for 1/2 sheets. Still cheaper than the $1700 price I had, but still a setback.

Soooo, I think what I'm going to do is use the 1" tempered 30"x72" and 36"x72" glass pieces that my friend has offered me for free. I'm going to stand 3 or 4 of them vertically with bracing in between. This accomplishes some good things:

1) Accelerates the build to warp speed
2) Keeps money in my pocket to do other parts of the build better
3) Puts the tank resting on the slab instead of suspended
4) Allows me to have more of the 11' 4" wall viewable as opposed to only 8' of it.

Not as impressive as one long window, but I can always come back later and redo the front with that when I can more readily afford it.

I'll have more details on the layout after I talk to my friend tomorrow.

I moved the 55 gallon wet/dry under the 210. Fortunately, the stand was built with pocket screws. I had to move one set of doors over 6" to be able to get the 55 through it. Geometry is an unforgiving beast, but I got it done. Doing the plumbing now.

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
To get our garbage men to take big stuff we just bring them a soda each when they come by for pickup :D

On a bulk pickup day we got one of the guys to take a 550lbs boulder from our front yard (there when we moved in) for a plate of cookies! Bribe the garbage men and it will get done!

Short of cookies or soda, I am sure a pretty please and a tip would work :)

Looking forward for the fishies! I am sorry if this has been addressed as I read the thread quite a while ago, but what is the stock looking like?

those1

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
Sandusky, OH
Wouldn't it be cheaper and look just as nice if not better to go with glass. Compared to acrylic you could do as VlDesign did on his build ans use starfire glass and still prolly save over the price of acrylic then you wouldn't have to worry as much about those "sweetlooking" scratches that always seem to show up on acrylic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store