Fish Room Redux - 3600+ Gallon Plywood Tank Build

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
You are going with the extra small (compared to the tank) viewing window for price reasons? With that large of a tank I would consider getting a little larger window, but it is all your choice!

Good luck, hope to see the finished product soon.

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
It's not really to scale. I was just messing around with it to try it out.

The FREE piece of glass that my friend has for me is 72"x36"x1". I asked him if he has any that are longer, but haven't heard back from him yet. I was going to buy glass for the 6 tanks I was going to build before deciding to build this big tank, so I'm going to put a call in to see what 96"x36"x1" or 84"x36x1" will be. I'm sure something ridiculous.

The max that I can go with on the dining room viewing side is 96" since the fish room overlaps the dining room and kitchen.

If it is cost prohibitive, I'll build the front of the tank in such a way that it would be easy to swap out for 84" or 96" glass later on. Basically, remove the plywood, unscrew doubled up 2x6s then cut out the sheetrock and reframe the window.

I'm guessing the 84" piece will be around $725 and the 96" piece around $830.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You should send up those good deals on acrylic. I'm in the market. That will be a great pond/tank when it is done.

chefjamesscott

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2008
regina saskatchewan canada
definitely gonna have to watch this i have a few designs in mind for my 7500g indoor pond year round greenspace biotope im gonna build for my pacus and iri sharks

count me subscribed

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
If I didn't have stuff I have to keep in my garage, I'd reinforce the walls, spray the entire inside with pond armor, and call it a day. LOL

Another mock up of the possible raised ceiling with exposed beams to give more room above the tank.

fish room3.jpg

nolapete

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The latest version showing both the smaller FREE glass 68x32 (72x36x1) and the 92x44 acrylic views and the bracing. The structure is used for bracing bridges, particularly railroad trestles. It diagonally pulls the back from left and right and pulls the right and left from the back keep all three square.

bracing.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store