Green Terror in 55-Gallon

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I’d pick the silvers or the butterflies (the butterflies would be more comfortable in a 55). Best to go with the butterflies in this case
Silvers do best with many of them (I only have 3, if the tank wasn’t already overstocked I’d get more though).

That setup sounds good - the bichir and cat would like the lower decor and the butterflies would appreciate the floating cover.
Would Congos be better in the center? I kinda want something to fill in the middle part.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Stay away from Siver dollars. They spook easy and in a 55 could cause damage to themselves. Also get pretty large and will increase bioload.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Would Congos be better in the center? I kinda want something to fill in the middle part.
They should be good - I’d cut back a few of the butterflies though in that case.
It would be a good African riverine setup + a raphael.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
They should be good - I’d cut back a few of the butterflies though in that case.
It would be a good African riverine setup + a raphael.
Omw, thank you for pointing that out Deadeye@, I didn't notice the imbalance. What I'm trying to do is have at least two species from each part of the world, like the raph and the silver dollars (SA) and the bichir with butterflyfish (African).

Ok...so I think I will ditch the dithers, they are definitely not at the top of my list for fish. Is there an American odd ball fish that will fit in this setup?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I think the bichir and butterflies fit that bill for oddball.
Imo, dithers are necessary for any tank (excluding where they will be eaten). They help to bring out natural behavior of larger fishes as well as give you something to look at. Most oddballs tend to be more cryptic.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I think the bichir and butterflies fit that bill for oddball.
Imo, dithers are necessary for any tank (excluding where they will be eaten). They help to bring out natural behavior of larger fishes as well as give you something to look at. Most oddballs tend to be more cryptic.
What about Pike topminnows? Those look awesome, and they are appropriate size-wise. I may have to ditch the butterflies though if I did topminnows.

I like the crypticness of oddballs. They add a sense of mystery that many fish do not have. A little story about the oddness of oddballs: My tank is in my bedroom, and every night, all my nighttime fish (3/4 of my stock lol) come out to play. I have a Fluval heater that produces a bright blue light, and usually, my BGK swims vertically in front of the light, casting a massive ghostly shadow on my wall. You can see the silhouette of my knife and the intricate fin movements (the rippling effect) move up and down in front of the light. I love it.

Last edited:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I don’t know anything about that species, so can’t really comment. It *should* be okay with any of the fish you’ve mentioned though.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I don’t know anything about that species, so can’t really comment. It *should* be okay with any of the fish you’ve mentioned though.
They are basically livebearers who have no chill. lol. Like high assault capacity platies.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
I'd pass on the pike livebearers. There's a reason they're illegal where I live. Nippy bastards that kill everything that breathes.
From what you've said you'd like here's my suggestion.
Sen Bichir
Your striped raph
Congos
I'd also look at kribensis.

Make sure there is cover, I'd look at plants like val.
I'd also chuck some houseplants on top.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'd pass on the pike livebearers. There's a reason they're illegal where I live. Nippy bastards that kill everything that breathes.
From what you've said you'd like here's my suggestion.
Sen Bichir
Your striped raph
Congos
I'd also look at kribensis.

Make sure there is cover, I'd look at plants like val.
I'd also chuck some houseplants on top.
I'm not a huge fan of Kribs, but I will look into them again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store