Green Terror in 55-Gallon

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
This might be a crazy question, but if (more like when lol) I got rid of the Oscar, my Pictus catfish, and my ghost knife (leaving me with the two bushfish, the syno, and the striped Raph), could I have a bichir? Or is that pushing it too far? Is there anything else I can have, or is it too stuffed even with me getting rid of half of my current stock?

I was thinking about this at the fish store earlier. I will be going to an expo in early December, and I'm wondering if I should just wholly lay off more fish and just focus on getting my tank beautiful looking.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The ctenopoma should be good long term, I don’t know enough about synod to comment there.
As for the bichir, give it time and consistently test nitrates. If you find that even with the current stock, it’s staying low, it’s safe to add more.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
The ctenopoma should be good long term, I don’t know enough about synod to comment there.
As for the bichir, give it time and consistently test nitrates. If you find that even with the current stock, it’s staying low, it’s safe to add more.
The squeaker gets to a max of 10 inches, but normally they'll stay around the 8-inch mark. As mentioned above, my syno is about 7 in so it has an inch or two more to grow.

Reactions: Deadeye

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Get some more cover in your tank SilverArowanaBoi SilverArowanaBoi
Synos like to hide a lot and if there isn't enough hiding spots they'll chase away other fish to steal it.
Bushfish also like a decent amount of cover as well.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
If your syno feels cramped it may take out its frustration on the othe fish, especially bottom dwellers. My 8 inch SL feather fin "Ted" is the enforcer in the 450 he took out a pleco twice his size because it was causing a ruckus

WP_20161219_017.jpg

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Get some more cover in your tank SilverArowanaBoi SilverArowanaBoi
Synos like to hide a lot and if there isn't enough hiding spots they'll chase away other fish to steal it.
Bushfish also like a decent amount of cover as well.
Don't worry mate, I have a tank decor plan in mind that will provide cover for everyone. ;)

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I'm loving my new "catches" so much! They are beautiful show-stopping fish and I can't wait to see how my tank turns out once I get and put in new decor and possibly more fish.

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! So after I get rid of a couple of fish from my current stock, I will only have two bush fish, 1 syno, and 1 Striped Raphael left. I feel like with these four fish, the tank will be kind of sparse. Can I get some more fish in? How about some of these?:

Option 1: 1 Platinum Senegal Bichir

Option 2: A Pleco of some sort, maybe green phantom.

Option 3: 3 Silver Dollars

Option 4: 5-7 Congo Tetras, or Emperor Tetras.

Option 5: 1-2 Convicts

Option 6: 3-5 Platinum Parrots or Convict Parrots (maybe even a combo of both).

Option 7: 1 Firemouth

Option 8: 1-2 Electric Blue Acaras

Option 9: 3 Discus

Option 10: 3-5 Angelfish

Which of these would work best? Can I have a combo of any of the above?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As I said, test your nitrates routinely before deciding to add something so you know you and the tank can handle it. From there, I’d personally add a schooling fish like the Congo tetras.
Anything else is going to stick to the lower levels or hide a lot, so the tank will still look bare even with them.
Any of the cichlids would probably beat on the ctenopoma in that size tank.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok. I think I've finally done it...

The impossible...

I have finally figured out (FOR REAL) what fish will be my permanent tank setup.

Here they are: 2 Leopard Bushfish, 1 Featherfin Squeaker Catfish, 1 Striped Raphael Catfish, 3-5 Angels (or if I'm indecisive, 2 EBAs)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store