Hikari vs. NLS

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
Yeah okay, 50/50 split if I took out a ray. 50% of the non eating nls eat pounds of shrimp, squid, fish fillets, muscles, scallops, worms, beef heart, home bred feeders,massivour, food stick ect. So when you say half my fish eat nls, out of all the food I feed to my fish on a daily bases, not a whole lot of nls is consumed. I recommend NLS to people as a all round good pellet. But for larger predator fish like aros, cats, rays, large cichlids, MP and food stick is better for the amount of protein in them formulated to fish like these. Yeah okay you got me! NLS has krill and squid meal :eek: But I feed my hikari eating fish fresh squid and tons of krill ;) Oh but NLS has more vitamins you say? I just add boyds vita chem to the MP and food stick to make up for any nutrition lacking. You should stop by one day and check out my fish, I may not feed all my fish nls pellet, but I take really good care of my fish feeding the the best foods and it shows with there health and stunning colors.

And BTW the bolts have not failed yet, nor they are even breaking a sweat

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa104/mydogkobi/***nick.gif

good day to you sir!
:D

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Justin - If you actually took the time to read some of the comments posted in this thread, instead of just skimming, and then asking the same questions, and repeating the same nonsense, you might actually learn something.

It should already be crystal clear to you that there are many ways that one can boost the nitrogen (crude protein) level in a commercial food, but that doesn't necessarily mean that all of that protein is in a form that a fish can fully assimilate. I could formulate a feed with a 65% crude protein content, & call it "Gigantic Monster Fish" food, using nothing but soybean, and I guess there would people like yourself that would rush out & buy it based on nothing more than the crude protein content. :screwy:

You talk about large predator fish, and what they require for optimom growth etc, yet the largest species of freshwater fish in North America (White Sturgeon), which can reach 20 ft, and weigh in at 2,000 lb's, are raised on commercial pellets with 42% crude protein.

Do you honestly think that your fish, swimming in their little glass cage, require more protein than sturgeon, raised in ponds, or massive commercial flow through systems?

Do you feel that after keeping your "monster" fish for a little over a year, that you suddenly know more than people who run multi-million dollar aquatic facilities, and who raise large predators for a living?

Are you getting it yet?

I have no problem if you choose to feed fresh/frozen to your fish.

From post #65 in this thread, where I stated;

This is just my own personal opinion, but if one wants the best value in fresh/frozen products, your best bet is to make a trip to the local market. Clams, mussels, squid, prawns, tilapia, silversides, walleye, pike, etc will get the job done, with the caveat of making sure to supplement with a well rounded liquid vitamin to ensure that certain vitamins & trace minerals aren't lacking. The key ones being vitamin C, B1 (many freshwater species contain thiaminase, which destroys B1, even when in a frozen state) and vitamin E, which is also largely broken down in flesh when frozen.
I have nothing against anyone that wants to feed frozen, a buddy of mine in town here has probably one of the largest & nicest asian aro com tanks in all of Canada, and none of his aros will eat pellets, at least not in any quantity.

But this discussion isn't about feeding fresh or frozen, it's about Hikari & NLS.

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
RD.;3920304; said:
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive.

:liar:
Many just enjoy posting, if the facts are somewhat skewed, oh well. It is just fun to post.:screwy:

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
PhillyxMartin;3972809; said:
I bought a bucket of NLS thera a for my fish after reading this thread but I'm not sure what's going on my fish wont eat it at all. It just sinks and grows mold.
If the fish aren't eating it, remove it from the system straight away. Regardless of type, never let food sit and rot in your tank. It will only spoil your water and cause harm to your fish.

PhillyxMartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
in the basement
greenterra;3972925; said:
If the fish aren't eating it, remove it from the system straight away. Regardless of type, never let food sit and rot in your tank. It will only spoil your water and cause harm to your fish.
It's not easy but I did it as soon as I got home from work. I vac 5 gallons out and put a fresh 5 in.

Do you have any tips on how to get them to eat it. They eat the Hikari with quickness.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
stop feeding hikari, they will eat the NLS eventually (probably within a few days)

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
cchhcc;3638252; said:
Here you go RD...... All these fish were raised on nearly 100% NLS. The only other foods they received was occassional mysis for the purpose of allowing the little guys to chow down something they had to chase, keeping the big guys from hogging all the pellets. The only other food I feed is Omega Veggie Wafers, and that's only because my big male dovii has ME trained. He doesn't like floaters, and NLS doesn't make a sinker big enough for him to be bothered with.

By the way, all these photos are raw. I don't know how to sharpen, cleanup, etc.....and certainly no Photoshop!

Before:

After:
Beautiful fish man!!!!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store