Hikari vs. NLS

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Regarding the new 10mm "Mega-Fish Formula" of NLS and the pellets being rock hard, it's actually probably a good thing. The fish will actually swallow it rather than crushing it up so half of its spews out of its gills. It should be a cleaner way to feed the monster species than wafers, floaters, and Massivore.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, for some people the hardness of the new 10mm pellets will be considered a positive, for others a negative. Either way, you won't find New Life adding extra wheat into the mix due to global warming. :)

Biggfeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
SoCal
Wow, I hadnt been on MFk in a while and I see that this thread has blown up hahaha. Ive been using Hikari though for the most part and its been working out great for me. I like the Bio-Gold best but I use Massivore as well here and there. I got some NLS (the floating type) and my fish doesnt seem to like it as much, ussually eats a pellet or two and then starts spitting em out and leaving them.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm not sure what world you live in, but here 5lb's of NLS costs the same as 2lb's of Hikari.

NLS = half the price, for twice the nutrient value.

NLS = No cornflakes, soybean meal, "mystery starches", rice, dried bakery products, or MSG.

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
Well i have never bought the stuff in bulk. But at the lfs NLS is too pricey. I have tried NLS and my fish don't care for it. They go crazy for hikari, so what ever you say about "mystery ingredients" it doesn't matter to the fish cuz it makes them happy, colorful and fat :)

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
crazy clowntang;4507264; said:
Well i have never bought the stuff in bulk. But at the lfs NLS is too pricey. I have tried NLS and my fish don't care for it. They go crazy for hikari, so what ever you say about "mystery ingredients" it doesn't matter to the fish cuz it makes them happy, colorful and fat :)

Clearly a detailed and scientific report with lots of merit. Thank you for your contribution.

Fat is most clearly a sign of good health. Yeah, I'm healthy!:screwy:

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
For what it's worth I had posted in another thread about how my fish would not eat NLS, now the whole tank will gladly eat NLS by itself or mixed with other pellets. Just took two weeks of withholding other food.

D-Train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2008
Edmonton, AB
NLS is the ****. I use it for all my fish, used to use Hikari. I find it messier than Hikari but worth the mess because I know whats in the food...... That and I like the container better hahaha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store