Hikari vs. NLS

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Another sound scientific review.....

Messier typically means less of the food is being digested. (Not a good thing at all.)

crazy clowntang

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 20, 2008
virginia
kdrun76;4507656; said:
Fat is most clearly a sign of good health. Yeah, I'm healthy!:screwy:
What I mean is that the fish look good! They are not fat as in obese, but the body mass is great! Like I said in another post, I have tried NLS, I did not see any change in the fish. The color=same, fish activity=same, price=not the SAME. AT MY LFS, NLS IS WAY MORE EXPENSIVE THAN HIKARI. I mean to each his own, and for me Hikari is top notch, just ask my fish;)

D-Train

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2008
Edmonton, AB
kdrun76;4509949; said:
Another sound scientific review.....

Messier typically means less of the food is being digested. (Not a good thing at all.)
I meant it makes the water messier because it doesn't sink straight to the bottom like Hikari does. The fish are eating just as much. So what if it's not "scientific" it's a FORUM, I'm not in a chemistry lab so stop insulting everyone who doesn't have all day to write an essay on the benefits of NLS vs. Hikari.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
I support "Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+" for many different reasons :popcorn:

In general my fish get a varied diet & eat pretty much anything or at least try it (4x Polleni sp East Coast small spot in 66g). Live, frozen & various dry foods.
I have started using "NLS Thera+A Fish Food" 3mm Pellets with "Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ mini & Hikari Cichlid Gold Sinking mini". The Polleni sp. are around 6" so size is not an issue.

Afteer feeding NLS, in general NLS food dust is everywhere in the tank after feeding. Floating up top & on the glass bare bottom all over as crumbs. Very unsightly poluting the preacious water :nilly:
I don't overfeed my fish. Actually I've been feeding different foods during the day so every feed is somewhat on the small side.
The fish take a lot longer to eat the NLS & they do spit it out sometimes & or chew & spit after they had some :(

In contrast Hikari is eaten in 30 seconds or less & there is no aftermath after feeding, that the filtration needs to deal with! :headbang2
If I soak the pellets Hikari winns again :naughty:
I don't care for the difference in nutritional content as much as I do care for my WATER QUALITY so I have find a WINNER :D
Cheers

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The fish take a lot longer to eat the NLS & they do spit it out sometimes & or chew & spit after they had some
A classic example of what happens when you feed a pellet that is too big for the fish. Unless the fish is an aggressive eater, I keep them on the smaller pellets & graduate to larger pellets as they grow.

The key is for the fish to swallow the pellet whole, with minimal or no chewing. No matter the brand.

fishguts

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2007
pennsylvania
i dont see all the hype about either product. i buy kens pellets and the ingredients are the same with a slight higher percentage then hikari gold for a lot less money.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
That was a very quick response RD... Are you an NLS rep?

I have to disagree there RD. I don't want to start an argument here. I got at least 4 different type of pellets that are similar in size & type shape etc. Some round barrel some round flat or just plain round all sinking. I have been feeding with those for about a month & added the NLS recently & have not noticed anything worth mentioning given the majority of the food is not upmarket like NLS or Hikari. I got samples & the name of the food has rubbed off the small zip-lock bags now.

So I do feed other simmilar/same size & type of pellets, where there is no real issue with swallowing or cheving. I have only noticed the large amount of leftower assocoiated with cheving with NLS I got now. Otherwise I would not have brought it up. However, there is some leftower with the other pellets accept Hikari.

Also I like to see my fish eat & finish the food while I am there standing reasuring me it's all done & good going!:grinno: And I am not even talking about the cardio workout my fish get feeding fraciously when Hikari hits the warter. Even I enjoy it & the hobby is about enjoymnet.
I just wanted to let others know I have find a winner :headbang2

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No worries Ogrim, I'm sure that you are a very experienced fishkeeper with many years of experience in feeding fish. I'm glad that you have found a winner.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
RD, I've only been keeping fish for just under a decade all together. However only kept cichlids for over a year now. The reason I have given NLS a go is due to being recommended by other keepers of cichlids. They do have different species of fish with perhaps different eating habits etc.

I can only blame the CHEWING of NLS on my CICHLIDS not being familiar with the NLS/Garlic taste. However we have to remember, that the Garlic in the food is a good & healthy addative :headbang2

I think NLS is definitely worth a try & your fish are likely to love you for it!:grinno:
Cheers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store