MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia

gochu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2010
Tacoma
I like NLS cichlid formula. Doesn't cloud my water and my fish gobble the stuff up, but they pretty much eat anything. I use to feed hikari but i dont like the floating pellets and some of my fish have difficulty eating it cuz they are a bit hard.

Omega007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Sacramento
My fish chew and spit out NLS pellets. I attempted few time already each at least 2 weeks duration. Most of you feeding NLS probably know after a week or two your gravel are saturaed with thick residue from pellets. My water quality actually goes bad much quickly than hikari.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
GOCHU, there are two SINKING Hikari products on the market that I know of,
Hikari Cichlid Gold Sinking for omnivore/carnivore & Hikari Sinking Cichlid Excel for the herbivores.

NLS is a lot harder than a Hikari pellet! I can crush a Hikari min/3mm pellet between my fingers, but with NLS all I get is pain :WHOA:

Omega, I see your point. I have seen on my bare bottom tank what remains of NLS! The Hikari & NLS are the same size 3mm, except the Hikari is round & gets eaten in no time wether it is sinking or floating :popcorn:

Note: I could not get the YouTube going sorry :cry:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Ogrim ........ You're a little late to this Hikari vs NLS party, and while everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion please keep in mind that some of us here not only feed NLS, we've been using this feed with great success for many years. :)

I've lost count how many cichlids (as well as numerous other species of fish) I have raised on NLS over the past decade, and I've never had any issues with fish spitting the food out, or experienced the type of waste that you mention. There are probably hundreds of MFK members that have had the same success with this food.

Check out the "cichlids" in the following MFK link, all raised on NLS.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203143

Here's a vid of a MFK member that I know who feeds NLS in all of his com tanks. (550 gallon shown in the link below)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShineAquatics#p/a/u/0/X5vVBUHR3KY

He's also currently growing out a group of black diamond stingrays on NLS wafers.

Another MFK member raised his motoro on an exclusive diet of NLS wafers & 3mm pellets. No issues at feeding time with this fish either.
See any big piles of waste on the sand bottom?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogVsj4odME

On cichlid-forum.com NLS is one of the most highly rated foods on the site. Out of 144 reviews it scores an overall 9.22 out of 10.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/view_product_review.php?id=286

Yes, it is a hard, nutrient dense food, but with a little training most fish will learn not to mess around when the food hits the tank. No chewing, no mess, little waste.

If you are happy with feeding Hikari then by all means carry on, but please keep in mind that some of the members here on MFK have been keeping & feeding fish for a very long time, including P. polleni, and have a pretty good handle on what they are doing, and why. ;)

On a side note, the creator of NLS was the first person in North America to import P. polleni, and successfully breed them in captivity. One of his polleni can be seen on the cover of the June 1993 edition of FAMA, as well as being featured in an article on the 1993 Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association annual show.

I like the natural look of your tank, although you may need to move up in tank size in the future as things may become cramped. Here's a direct link to your video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfaJVPOzwBY

Cheers

Gatorxxx420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2010
Taylor, Mi
I prefer NLS as to seeing its results with my Dempsey's early on. They got their first frozen treat and wouldn't eat the NLS anymore. Being a rookie, I grabbed some TetraMIN flakes and they took it. I didn't know that if I fasted them for a few days they'd probably go back to it. I do plan to start reintroducing them to it. Most of the tank mates will accept it, it's just my 3 regular Dempsey's and Jag that wont right now. I figure in time, they will or they wont eat.

Ogrim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2010
Australia
Ogrim;4674541; said:
I have given NLS a go due to being recommended by other keepers of cichlids. They do have different species of fish with perhaps different eating habits etc.
RD, I have no doubt about LNS as a G8 source of food/nutrients for fish & that it works well. I have shared my bucket with 4 other people & they thought NLS was the "bees knees"! Obviously they are very happy with the NLS food.

Me on the other hand, had a different experience & it felt like I have gone backwards, but time will tell. I will keep the NLS in the feeding loop & see how it goes. I might be doing something wrong I don't know or I should give it more time perhaps.

The only member who engaged me was you RD regarding NLS & tried to have a stab at helping me. Who knows, I might even convert to the NLS camp one day :naughty:
Cheers

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
Rd we all know you sell nls(more power too you)but every time someone has a different opinion,you get on your soap box. I have experienced the same as afew others that my fish will not eat nls(regardless of pellets size)and it does mess with your water quality if you dont watch them and make sure they eat it all or spit it all over the place. I have had better results with several other foods than nls.
Hikari=fantastic results,saw dramatic inprovement
Kens fish=great results
omega one=great results
Danichi=great results
Jehmco brand=great results,all fish hit it with enthusiasm
Nls=fish will not eat it,wish they would eat the thera a(like the garlic additive)
As you can see i base my opinion on different foods i have tried,not just going with the crowd,(and i have nothing to gain from promoting a certain food as you do). I feed my fish as much variety as i can because i believe there is no one single pellet that can provide your fish with evry thing your fish needs. But what good is a pellet my fish will not eat(regardless of ingredients)
I am sure other folks have had great success with nls,just like folks have had great sucess with all brands. One thing we must remember is genetics also plays a part in how our fish grow and develop,if your fish are from a good blood line than you will have better fish as they develop(taking into account your fish keeping skills)but if you start of with an inferior fish,they will only get to a certain level. No food can take a fish past its genetic make up. Just my 2 cents

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store